Sunday, April 22, 2018

The Iceberg Dictum with Research





For the past two weeks, I’ve posted about a novel on which I’ve worked for years. It’s now near completion. I need only to place a few telling details into scene and character descriptions. Those details will help readers visualize the setting, the clothing, the homes, and other aspects of life in first-century Palestine.

Many years ago I read a book on the craft of writing historical novels. The author insisted that writers do extensive research. Then, if they want to write riveting historical novels, they must use only about 10% of the research. That is, like an iceberg, only 10% should be obvious. From that statement, I understood that I had to steep myself in first-century CE history for the novel I was writing. Only then would it be authentic. BUT, if I used too much detail, I’d lose my readers.

Back in November 2006, having completed an early draft of the novel, I asked a friend of a friend to read it. Two weeks later, she called to tell me all the things she didn’t like about the story. Trying to find something that would help me salvage the book, I asked questions: What there anything good about the characters? No. Plot? No. Dialogue? No. Beginning? No. Ending? No.

Finally, I asked, “Was there anything you did like about the manuscript?”

She thought a long moment, then said, “Well, I could see you did a lot of research.”

She probably thought that statement made up somewhat for her harsh criticism. It didn’t because if a reader is aware of research, that research is intrusive. It sticks out. It’s not woven into the plot, the characters, the story. It becomes tedious.

Her criticisms were so subjective, based on her own bias, that they provided little help as I wrote the next draft. However, her final statement, did. The next day, I began to read through the manuscript, searching for extraneous detail. It was then I realized that in the draft I’d succumbed to the temptation to show off. By that I mean that perhaps I’d wanted readers to appreciate just how much I knew about first-century Palestine.

I spent nearly a month fine-tuning that draft, expunging details that were interesting, but not necessary to set the scene and provide the authenticity necessary. Then I put the novel aside because of a Meniere’s operation. It took eighteen months to recuperate from that.

By then—August 2008—I was working on another book. In 2014, I found myself thinking about the novel and even wrote a blog posting or two about it. I shared the first couple of paragraphs to see if they piqued any interest in my blog readers. They did, but once again, I had to put the novel aside because of health issues.

Now I’ve retrieved the novel from the computer’s innards. Lo and behold, I’ve discovered that in the intervening years I’ve forgotten what I once knew. I need additional research to round out the plot. The lesson is that in my frenzy to delete the extraneous, I nearly demolished the book!

Peace.

Postscript:
This past week, two bloggers completed Prayer Wasn’t Enough and wrote about it. If you have the time, inclination, and interest, please read Dr. Kathy McCoy’s review here. Her introduction to the review is delightful as she shares her early thoughts about becoming a nun.

Debra Fetterly, a fellow blogger from California who believes in breathing lightly, interviewed me via e-mail. You can find her eight perceptive questions and my responses here.

Iceberg photo from Wikipedia.


16 comments:

  1. This is fascinating. I had never thought about the 'letting your research/cleverness' show flaw, but it is so very true.
    I suspect that despite the need to brush up on your research your time away from this book hasn't been wasted. Out of sight, things have been brewing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sue, I remember reading Alan Bradley's first book "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie." I'd heard rave reviews, so I wanted to read it. The first 20-30 pages however were so filled with details that I wanted to stop reading. One detail on top of another to establish the period. Fortunately I stuck with it because of what a friend told me about it. Now Bradley has become one of my favorite writers. (He's a Canadian). I've read every one of the books in his series--all about a young girl named Flavia. They are a hoot in so many ways! But after that first book, he resisted the urge to give too many details. Peace.

      Delete
  2. I am 80% finished with your memoir, Dee, but since it's on my Kindle and I read it as I'm settling into bed, I keep falling asleep. It's not the book's fault, as I'm enjoying it very much. I think about what I've read and will be publishing a review very soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear DJan, thank you for your tenacity! I hope your ankle is better today. Be good to yourself. Peace.

      Delete
  3. Nobody likes harsh criticism, but sometimes it can be of help and make us take another look and profit from it. Readers can become restless and if if there are too many facts and less story, they often lose interest. I am sure that this time around, your book will be much improved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Arleen, I so hope that the book will be improved. I'm trying to keep my additions to a minimum. That is, I'm making each word I add carry its weight and add to the novel. Peace.

      Delete
  4. What an honest friend you had. I am glad she didn't scare you off but inadvertently pointed you in a better direction. You may have to do some additional research but you now have fresh eyes and perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patti, that is exactly what every writer needs--an honest reader who will help the author shape the novel into what she or he always wanted it to be. I do have fresh eyes and they are seeing what is needed! Peace.

      Delete
  5. I'm fascinated with your lessons learned while researching and writing about early Palestine. I love to do research and I catch myself sometimes even in conversation overwhelming a friend with too much detail about a topic of interest--perhaps just MY interest. You're wise to listen to your own advice in this area, I'm certain. Bit it all does take immense measures of time! I'm eager for the reading of such a novel, Dee. Your tenacity is strong and a good example to me of patience towards a goal. Debra www.breathelighter.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Debra, the research does take a lot of time. When I did all of it back in 2002 or whenever, I was much younger and the mind held facts in place. Now, I'm not being able to hold on well to what I learn. But what is, is. And I am just grateful that I can still read and write. Both great gifts. Peace.

      Delete
  6. Your friend was honest yet kind. Research can bog a writer down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Susan, research certainly can bog down a writer as well as a reader. I just finished reading a book that had too much detail and I found myself skipping! Peace.

      Delete
  7. Hope you find the energy to get to this next goal. I enjoy reading you works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Heidrun, it is a question of energy, isn't it? Today, my energy level is low. I got plenty of sleep, and I've eaten breakfast and lunch, and yet my body just seems to be slogging through the day. Not getting much done.

      Thank you for saying you enjoy what I write. That means a lot to me. Peace.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for your memoir, "Prayer wasn't Enough." It was an honest, articulate piece of writing that held me enthralled from page one. I hope you write a sequel.

    SFlichen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Alice, thank you for stopping by my blog to leave this lovely comment. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed the convent memoir. I am planning a sequel and hope to publish it next year.

      If you have the time and the inclination, would you please go to Amazon and leave a review of the memoir? That helps other readers decide whether they want to read the book. Thank you. Peace.

      Delete