Sunday, April 15, 2018

The Gift for Chapter One



Last week I shared with you the twenty-year history of my work on a novel that takes place in first-century Palestine. That is what the Roman conquerors called the area that the Jewish people referred to as Judaea, the Galilee, Samaria, and the bordering lands.

I explained that since 1997, the novel has gone through countless permutations since I first heard within myself the voice of a biblical character talking about Yeshua, whom most people now call Jesus.

In 2002, after writing a manuscript, which a biblical professor at a local college said lacked authenticity, I began to research the Jewish people, culture, and religion of the first-century of the Common Era. I used the reading list that the professor so helpfully suggested. During that year, I read all thirty-six recommended books.

The next year, I began to write. Slowly, and over several different drafts, a novel emerged. Due to health concerns, I put it aside for four years. Recently I returned to it, only to discover that it lacked a gripping first chapter and a sense of place.

For years, I’d struggled with the beginning. Two weeks ago, a friend’s comment helped me discover where to start—with a scene in which the two main characters meet again. They have not seen one another for thirteen years. The main character—Ephraim—has always felt disdain for the other man—Yeshua.

The manuscript now has them meeting at the Jordan. During this past Easter week, I added to the chapter details I’d researched about the “muddy” Jordan and the thickets that edged the river’s banks.

They meet; they argue. There’s dialogue, tension, the beginning of a plot that introduces suspense and intrigue. But something was still missing. Ephraim came off looking mean-spirited—a rigid man, holding to a grudge. Yet he’s the main character. It’s essential that readers like him. Root for him. I knew that somehow I needed to show that he was in the midst of a crisis of faith. Then readers might feel his anguish and begin to empathize with him. But how to do that in this particular scene?

I was typing along on the computer, adding a detail here, a detail there about what they both wore or the river setting—trying to help readers “be” at the Jordan with these two characters. I typed. Typed some more. Still felt a lack in the chapter.

Then suddenly—without conscious decision on my part—Hashem begins to speak to Ephraim. (Hashem is the name the Jewish people at that time used to refer to their God—the Almighty One.) I typed the words given to me. Ephraim responds. And there—THERE—is the one thing the chapter was missing: the introduction of the crisis of faith that is central to the novel. A thread that weaves the novel, helps hold it together.

I didn’t plan their conversation. Truthfully I didn’t know how to introduce it in the chapter although their combative dialogue appears throughout the rest of the novel. These words, introducing the crisis, came as pure gift.
Peace.

Postscript:
This week two bloggers read Prayer Wasn’t Enough and wrote about it. If you have the time, inclination, and interest, please read Arkansas Patti’s review here. Her wonderfully entertaining blog is called “The New Sixty.”

Judy Grout, whose website is “Judy Grout, Author,” posted an interview with me this week. You can find her three questions and my replies here.  

Photo of Jerusalem model from Wikipedia


30 comments:

  1. Serendipity is obviously determined that you WILL finish and publish this work. And I am really looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sue, I think I have 14 guardian angels and a number of spirit guides--among them Arthur the lion who's been with me since I was five--who truly guide me and take care of me. Peace.

      Delete
  2. I'm over here cheering for you, Dee.
    Peace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne, thank you. I cheer for you as you take on the causes that are so important if we are to maintain our democracy. Peace.

      Delete
  3. Your blog posts leave me with questions! Ha ha.

    What did Hashem say to Ephraim???

    :-)

    How am I supposed to wait for the book?


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sandi, you know you'll going to have to wait for the book to get those answers! Ha! Ha! I surely hope it will be published this fall. I'll be announcing it you can be sure! Peace.

      Delete
  4. I am popping over to read what the others have to say because I am interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jo-Anne, I'm so glad you are "popping over" to Patti's bog and Judith's web site. Both have been so generous to me with regard to the memoir. I'm fortunate in so many ways. Peace.

      Delete
  5. I am so happy for you, Dee. What you have sought so long to find, has now been found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Arleen, yes. I feel like the woman in the Bible who lights the candle and searches up and down for the lost coin! What rejoicing when she finds it. That's how I feel. Peace.

      Delete
  6. Amazing to see how an author's mind works and creates. That was facinating. Thank you for the shout out and I will be checking out Judy's interview now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patti, I think so much of what comes to us to write--whether it be blog posting or memoir or novel or poem, whatever--comes from some deep part of us where a universal truth dwells. Peace.

      Delete
  7. Great review and interview, Dee! I'm glad the word is spreading, and I wish you all the best on your novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Deanna, thank you for your good wishes for the novel. I so hope to have it done by the first of July. That's what I'm aiming for! Peace.

      Delete
  8. I loved the part of this book you shared years ago and I have been waiting for it ever since. It is indeed insteresting to learn what you go through, the patience required to find the answers that will make the book whole. I hope you will find a way to publish it. I know in my heart that it is very special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Inger, I'm surprised that you remember that sharing--it had to be probably in 2014--so four years ago. Thank you for thinking it is special. Surely it is to me because I've come to care for these characters after all this time. They are real to me. Peace.

      Delete
  9. Just when you needed something, God brings it to your mind and hands. This will be a great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Susan, Thank you. I hope that it will appeal to many different readers. By the way, did I tell you that your daughter's experience with getting her book published was an incentive for me to really get the memoir out there. Thank you for posting about her book. Please thank her for inspiring me. Peace.

      Delete
  10. So glad you found your beginning!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Fishducky, I've had the ending for 20 years. I'm so glad I now know how the book begins!!!! Peace.

      Delete
  11. Either i start my writings without planning their dialogue
    It decides the nature of characters that how they will act react or talk in different situations.

    I am so thrilled that finally your hardworking is going to result in great published work my dear friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Baili, isn't it wonderful the way books develop and the way each of us write? It's such a joy. Peace.

      Delete
  12. What a powerful experience to finally have the chapter come out right . . . what a gift! I'm glad I found your blog tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Marcy, thank you for stopping by today. It was a powerful experience. I'd had it before when Dulcy (the cat with whom I lived for 17 1/2 years) gave me the book "A Cat's Life: Dulcy's Story." The experience is not to be forgotten, it's so powerful. Peace.

      Delete
  13. It's very interesting how your novel has taken shape over so many years. You are convincing me that I have one I maybe should definitely dig up and have another go at. I think one of my favorite parts of writing is the historical research. I have the book of my dad's letters pretty much written but I haven't felt confident that it is what I want it to be yet. So I am going back to research mode to see what else I can dig up. And wondering how I will know when enough is "enough".
    I was pleasantly surprised to see a review of your book on Dr. Kathy McCoy's blog this week. I was surprised because I didn't know you were a follower of her blog, too. I wonder how we both found our way there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cynthia, I say, "go for it!" Are you planning to write a novel based on your father's letters or are you thinking of a biography/memoir about him? Whichever you do, of course, there will be research. I think you and I both like that part of the writing process!

      As to when enough is enough, that's hard to say. You get to the point where if you overwork something, it becomes dry because you've taken out all the juices. So it's a fine line to know when you've done enough and the characters are ready to meet their readers.

      I've followed Kathy's blog for at least 5 or 6 years. She loves cats and so do I! But I can't remember how I first met her blog. Can you? Peace.

      Delete
  14. You are a true writer with great writers' instincts that you've learned to trust. I always enjoy reading about the process of how story lines fall into place. Keep enjoying the ups and downs of your manuscripts but be care not to share too much online and shoot yourself in the foot when it comes time to try to find a publisher who'll want to buy/publish it. (I'm talking entire passages and chapters, not the kind of sharing you're doing here.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rian, thank you for the cautionary note. I've been aware that I mustn't say too much, but I want to share the writing process with readers and so I must say a little.

      Today I started adding "telling" details to the novel in an attempt to make it more authentic. I hope that the characters approve. Peace.

      Delete
  15. Hello, Dee -- I read about you on Kathy's post and then saw your comment in Vagabonde and thought, "I should check out this woman who reads two of my favorites!" This post greatly intrigues me -- I write but can't plot worth a darn! And I loved reading your profile books. When you listed all my favorite mystery authors and cats I knew I'd like you!

    Best of luck on your memoir -- and on this, too!
    ~ jeanie from Marmelade Gypsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jeanie, thank you for stopping by. And yes, Kathy and Vagabonde are two of my favorites also.

      You mention liking cats. I've written two books about Dulcy the cat with whom I lived for nearly 18 years. Well, the truth is that she gave me the books! By early June, they will both be available as trade paperbacks and once again as ebooks. I tell you that just in case you'd like to read them!

      As to plotting, I think it's hard also. But I find that when the characters are allowed their freedom to create, they somehow come up with the plot! I hope that happens for you too. Peace.

      Delete