Sunday, April 8, 2018

Authors Taking Us Places


Since the publication of Prayer Wasn’t Enough, I’ve visited four places: Venice, London, Cheyenne, and Santa Fe. I’m in awe of the authors who took me to those far-flung cities. Each situated her or his story so well that I felt as if I were actually it that city with the characters.

During the past few days, I’ve worked on polishing a novel that takes place in first-century Palestine—a setting far away and long ago. I can’t go there, so I must research as I did for an entire year back in 2002. The manuscript has undergone numerous permutations since the idea first came to me in 1997 in a Stillwater, Minnesota, cemetery.

Walking along its looping pathways, I suddenly began to talk out loud. The words came from a biblical character. From what this character was saying, someone was interviewing him about Yeshua, the itinerant exorcist of the Galilee. (The Hebrew name Yeshua became the Greek Jesus.)

The next day, another character from Luke’s Gospel began to speak through me. He, too, talked about Yeshua. Returning home, I typed the two monologues that had been given to me. They led to the first draft of a novelette that emphasized a journey, but lacked a character who’d undertake that journey or the intrigue that would accompany him.

Each year that followed, I spent a few weeks trying to find the thread that would hold plot, character, scene, dialogue, suspense together. Slowly the book began to expand and take shape. By 2015, I was nearing a final draft that did most of what I wanted it to do. The plot worked; the characters came alive for me. With the emergence of the main character, a Pharisee, I found the suspense necessary to sustain a novel.

However, no matter how much I worked, I could never find a beginning that satisfied me. I tried one scene then another; one setting then another; one character then another. I tinkered, but never felt that the manuscript started in the right place. For the past four years, I left the manuscript alone, thinking that it would never see the light of publication.


Then, three weeks ago as I aired my frustration with a friend, she said, “Start with your two main characters.” Those words unlocked my dilemma. This past week, I found a place in the novel where the two meet at the River Jordan. Situating these two in that scene and hinting at their impasse became essential.

Once again as I had twenty years ago, I researched the Jordan. The chapter expanded as I found “telling” details that would put the reader by the river and that would appeal to a reader’s sense of sight, sound, taste, touch, and smell.

Next Sunday, I hope to share with you the amazing happening of this past week—the happening that gave me the chapter I’d visualized but had never been able to write. The happening, which came from some deep place within me, was a surprising grace. Pure gift.

I hope you, too, are finding surprising things happening in your life. Peace.


PS:  I want to thank all of you who have read or are reading the convent memoir. Once again, I’d like to ask you to leave a review on Amazon if you haven’t already done so. That is, if you have the time and the inclination. Only if the book gets 70 reviews will it begin to appear on other Amazon pages as part of their promotion. Please excuse my crassness.

30 comments:

  1. Not crass at all. When I get to your memoir I will assuredly post a review.
    Is Amazon global do you know? If I post a review on Amazon Australia (which is where I bought it) does that contribute to the 70 review rule?
    I am looking forward to reading your next post and hope that the pleasant and serendipitious surprises continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sue, I don't know if Amazon is global. By that, I mean I don't know if reviews done in Great Britain or Australia will appear on the US Amazon book page. And I don't know if it will be part of the 70.

      I, too, hope for more serendipity. This novel has taken root in me after all these years and I want it right! Peace.

      Delete
  2. I’m fascinated by the process of writing. I hope to take a writing class one day.

    Your comment about Norbert’s ears made me burst out laughing at work. I was taking a micro break in the stairwell and it echoed all up and down. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Birdie, I encourage you to take a writing class. It will help you find within yourself a well-spring of creativity. Of that I'm sure.

      I hope your Norbert comment got put on the correct blog! I've done things like that also. My mind just drifts! Peace.

      Delete
  3. Oops. The comment about Norbert was not meant for you. I think I need a nap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Birdie, I find myself needing a daily nap and sometimes more than one! Peace.

      Delete
  4. I am almost finished with the book, Dee, and have enjoyed it tremendously. I even dream about it! Rest assured, I will write a review for Amazon one of these days. And congratulations on finding that first chapter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear DJan, hope you are just having dreams and not nightmares! I tell you that I've struggled for years with this first chapter and it came so surprisingly this past week. What a gift from the Universe. Peace.

      Delete
  5. You are amazing. I'm looking forward to this book, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne, that's great, that you think you'd like to read this novel. I so hope I can get it completed and published later in the year. I will, of course, blog about it when that happens and probably I'll be blogging about the process in the weeks ahead. Peace.

      Delete
  6. What did they say about Yeshua? (I suppose I will have to wait to find out!)

    I like how you use the Hebrew version of Jesus.

    Have you ever read "Jesus the Son of Man" by Kahlil Gibran? It is a collection of firsthand narratives of those who knew Jesus, some unexpected and others we've heard of. Some he based on historical traditions, others from his deep heart. It is very moving. Your story reminds me of his approach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sandi, I haven't read the Gibran book, but after I complete this novel, I will do so. I don't want to be influenced by another writer and so I've avoided reading books that have Yeshua as a character. Thank you for telling me about the book. I can remember reading one of his books when I was in college many years ago. Peace.

      Delete
  7. Dear Dee, I am so happy to read that you have gone back to your unfinished novel. Sometimes, we need to take a break from from a project and come back later with a new perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Arleen, like you, I'm happy, that this novel will be--health willing--completed and published this year. I've poured my whole heart and mind into it, so it's special to me. And you are so right about coming back to something and getting a new perspective. That's what happened. Peace.

      Delete
  8. I loved the book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Fishducky, thank you. And I so hope that Bud is doing well. And you too. Peace.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you were able to get back to a book so long in the writing and in such a surprising way. I find that is the way with all my creative endeavors: they ferment inside me when I'm not even thinking about them and I'm as surprised as anyone by what suddenly comes out! I just finished a piece of fabric art, a piece of quilting/weaving/embroidery, where I started with an idea and something (far better) emerged from somewhere as I worked. Isn't it fun?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cynthia, yes, it's as if a creative idea has to germinate in the rich loam of our imagination and then it burst forth, full-bloomed. As you've said, it is a lot of fun!!!! I'm so glad you are please with your fabric art project. What a feeling of accomplishment we get when this happens. We are fortunate. Peace.

      Delete
  10. Just stopped by to check out your as per blog Arkansas Patti's recommendation. I, too, am fascinated by writing process. Best of luck with "Prayers Wasn't Enough." Sounds interesting and I'm off to Amazon to put it on my Wish List.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jean, thanks so much for stopping by. Patti's blog is one of my favorites and I was so surprised today when I went there and found her review of "Prayer Wasn't Enough."

      Thank you for putting it on your Amazon wish list. I hope you will enjoy it when the time comes to order and read it! Peace.

      Delete
  11. That was a facinating dialogue about how you found the beginning of your story. Your friend did well directing you. How fortunate you never gave up on the story. Looking forward to reading it also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patti, thank you again for your blog review of the convent memoir. I do so hope that I'll get the final tweaking done on this novel and get it published! Thanks for your encouragement. Peace.

      Delete
  12. I'm so glad you found what you needed for this book. I have waited patiently for a chance to read it for many years now. I so hope it will come to be. I just read Patti's review. So well written, so comprehensive. Several things there that I would not have thought to include. ---- So much fun to be back to blogging and among so many talented people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Inger, sometimes I wonder if I will ever be done with this Palestine novel. It is I think my own journey and I'm still--always--tinkering with it.

      Yes, Patti's review was so well done. And she put a review on Amazon also. I am so blessed in my blogging friends.

      And yes, yes! It's so good to have your back to blogging. Now take care when you are out by that clothesline in the wind! Peace.

      Delete
  13. Methinks that cemetery has a wonderful overlook on one of my favorite rivers the beautiful St.Croix...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Troutbirder, methinks you would be right!!!! Peace.

      Delete
  14. I think it's fantastic that you were able to visit those four cities. I hope you thoroughly enjoyed your time away. May all be going very well with the writing of your current book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bea, I only visited those cities in my mind as I read the books that took place in them. But oh, now that I travel hardly at all, I am so grateful for being able to read and to discover the world that way.

      Thank you for your best wishes with regard to the current novel I'm working on. Peace.

      Delete
  15. In my old box given by mom i still have a manuscript of one of my unfinished story and whenever I look at it i starve for time to sit think and write.
    You are BLESSED dear Dee!
    How wonderful to follow the advice of friend and starting new beginning!

    To be honest I never read something on Amazon I don'tdon't know how to do so .

    I will try to reach your beautiful book and then read and leave review for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Baili, I so hope you find the time and the quiet in which to work on your manuscript. You have so much to say that will be helpful to your readers. Peace.

      Delete