Sunday, April 29, 2018

Childhood Chores

Today the sun beams on fresh leaves while dandelions beautify my lawn. Perhaps Spring has finally come. Because of our cold weather this past month, I’d assumed we’d go from Winter to Summer almost overnight. I’m glad to be proven wrong.

I can’t remember the first time I heard Mom use the term Spring cleaning. It was what we did every year on a given Saturday: put away winter clothes; clothespin the spring/summer clothes on the clothes’ line to air them out; wash the curtains; and while they dried, wash the windows. Within the day, our home felt airy again and smelled sweet.

Thinking of spring cleaning made me think also of the chores Mom used to give my brother and me. Mom explained that we were a family, each of us with a job to do. When we were little, she suited the chores to our strength and understanding. As time passed, she added new chores.


Dad’s job was to work at a construction site each weekday and bring home a paycheck. He kept the car in running order by doing tune-ups and keeping the tires inflated. He mowed the lawn until my brother was old enough to do so.

Mom cooked the meals, milked the cow, cleaned the house, did the washing in a machine with a wringer, and hung it out to dry. She tended a large vegetable garden, weeded it, and canned the produce—all that and more!

Morning and night, my brother fed two horses, the milking cow, the chickens, and the sow. He also mowed the large front lawn between the cherry/pear orchard on one side and the apple orchard on the other. From our well, he pumped water for the livestock and also for our home use as we had no city water. Every Saturday evening, he filled our metal tub with water he’d heated for our once-a-week bath. Each of us in turn went to the kitchen, got into the tub, and washed. When all four of us were clean, my brother emptied the water outside beyond the back stoop.

Most importantly, he trapped rabbits during the winter months when my dad had no work and money was scarce. Mom used those rabbits to make stew with dumplings. A chore he and I shared each autumn was picking apples, cherries, and pears and selling them from our fruit stand that fronted the busy road that passed our home.

My other chores were all done in the house: I sat the table for supper and washed the supper dishes. That involved my brother pumping water that I then put in a big pan on the stove to heat. Once it was boiling, I poured it into a washing pan and did the dishes while more water heated for the rinse. After rinsing and drying the dishes, silverware, and pots, I put them away and then emptied the rinse water outside.

I also washed the milk/cream separator each day. The machine consisted of many small parts that had to be washed and rinsed with boiling water after each use. In addition, I did all the ironing of the laundry after Mom taught me the art of ironing sleeves and shoulders without wrinkling them. Finally, I made my bed and kept my room tidy. All clothes off the floor, dirty ones in the hamper; clean ones on hangers.

Mom taught my brother and me that we all had a role in the family dynamic. Doing our chores helped make life easier for everyone in our family.

How about you? What chores did you grow up doing?


Peace.

27 comments:

  1. We all had chores. And like you, they started off simple and few. And grew.
    Washing up was an early one. Laying the table for meals.
    As time went on I learned to wash and iron clothes. And do a very little cooking.
    I still loathe ironing but am grateful for those early lessons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sue, like you, I seldom iron now. Mostly I wear my clothes wrinkled and am content with that! Like you, also, I am grateful that Mom gave me chores because they build within me a work ethic that allowed me to be successful as an adult when I worked at various jobs. Peace.

      Delete
  2. I haven't ironed anything in ages, but I did when I was younger. Setting the table and washing the dishes were the responsibility of me and my sister. Otherwise, I don't remember having to do much, certainly nothing like you did. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear DJan, you know when I was writing the posting yesterday, I thought to myself that my brother had so much more to do than I did. And he did. I really did so little compared to him. And I suspect that I really did about the same you did! Peace.

      Delete
    2. I thought that too, about your brother. I wonder if he felt that way also?

      Delete
    3. Dear kj, yes, my brother really did a lot, but I don't recall ever asking him if he thought our chores were unfairly divided. I need to ask him that! Thanks for asking. Peace.

      Delete
  3. I had two brothers, a father and mother. Except that we had city water, the rest of life was the same. Household chores, outdoor chores, a garden, canning the produce. Spring cleaning, fall cleaning. Life went on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne, yes, life goes on and the hope is that we will learn its lessons. I really didn't have any outdoor chores. One that I forgot to mention that my brother did was empty the toilet bucket each morning. Peace.

      Delete
  4. I remember setting the table, washing the dishes & cleaning my room. Other than doing those things, I guess I was a lazy bum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Fishducky, well, the truth is that Mom had to chivvy me sometimes to get me to do my chores! So I was a "lazy bum" also! Peace.

      Delete
  5. We all had chores, although my older sister and I had much more to do than my brother. We had to cook, clean, iron, shop and take out the dogs. My brother had to take out the garbage. When my younger sister was born years later, she was spared many of the jobs that were expected of us. We all spoiled her and she was a joy then and still is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Arleen, in our house, my brother did more than I. As I said in responding to Joanne's comment, he had to empty the bucket we used as a toilet. He did that each morning. He emptied it down one of the outhouse holes. I hated the stink so that I would have been willing to do almost any chore rather than that!

      Isn't it wonderful to have a sibling who is joy and has always been. That's how I feel about my brother. Peace.

      Delete
  6. Goodness, you make me feel like a slacker. Maybe my being the baby had something to do with that. I had a few chores but nothing like what you had. I'll bet your brother as a grown man, grinned big every time he turned on a faucet and water came out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patti, you weren't a slacker. Believe me when I say that Mom had to get pretty insistent with me to get me to do my chores. I could gripe a lot!

      And yes, I think you're right about my brother and the faucet. I wonder if he remembers those days. I'll have to ask him. He's on a fishing trip right now, but he'll be home by the end of the week. Peace.

      Delete
  7. Our life was a bit unusual as we lived in crowded post war share residences. Both parents worked as did my aunts. My grandpa did some chores and we were sent to a Catholic nusery care. Once we were a bit older we came to Canada and we were doing shopping and dishes too. When baby sister was around we entertained her. Chores really changed in teen years after Dad passed away. I bloogged about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Heidrun, I missed that blog posting. You know I never baby sat because Mom had only the two of us. I did go to the corner grocery store when I got out of school each day and shopped for Mom. Then I carried it home on the bus. I'd forgotten that. So maybe you and I did a lot of the same things. Let me know the URL for that blog posting you did on chores. Peace.

      Delete
  8. I love the photo of you and your brother, especially the band-aid on your knee! I had jobs around the house similar to yours: set the table, dry the dishes (Mom always washed), iron hankies and pillowcases, sweep and vacuum, mow with the push mower. The one I hated most was dusting and I still don't like to dust!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cynthia, I'm an Aries and I seem to always be wearing a band-aid somewhere on my body! I've been clumsy all my life! Yes, I did some vacuuming and dusting also, but I forgot about those when I did the posting. My, we all had a lot of chores. Peace.

      Delete
    2. And I forgot about DIGGING DANDELIONS! My most despised chore of all. Every Saturday in the spring I remember sitting out in the prickly grass with a metal pail. I wasn't finished until the pail was full and then I could go play. Haven't thought about that in years and years.

      Delete
    3. Dear Cynthia, oh, I can imagine how onerous that was! Because we lived on the farm, dandelions were just considered wildflowers and we left them be. Peace.

      Delete
  9. hello, I'm here from frisk's blog and I've much enjoyed reading about your family chores and who did what. my job was to iron the sheets and pillow cases and my father's underwear, and to dust the mopboards in the living and dining rooms each week. I hated both jobs and had to be reminded but they had to be done before I could head outside with my friends.

    I imagine rural life is different than my surburban experience.

    best wishes,
    kj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear kj, thanks so much for stopping by. I don't think we ironed our sheets and pillow cases. At least I can't remember doing so. Nor my dad's underwear. Mostly I ironed the cotton slips Mom and I wore and our dresses and blouses and the pants dad and my brother wore and their good Sunday shirts.

      As to the mopboards! What a task that must have been. Did you bend over or simply scoot along the floor to do this? I did the dusting, but it was just table tops and knick-knacks. Peace.

      Delete
  10. What a lovely post. I'm reading it as I'm resting after my morning chores (mainly dog related) and thinking about cleaning my floors today. I don't think we had assinged chores growing up, but I know I helped a lot as needed. My dad was very helpful also, as my mom wasn't always well. My brother was not doing much and I don't know why that wasn't seen as a problem by my parents. We also had a woman who came and helped with the cleaning and stuff like that when mom was ill. So I had a different upbringing. Now I work outside, hang clothes on the line, clean the dog yard, and so on. And I like this way of life so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. P. S. Hope all is well with you in "Tornado Alley." I hear about all the storms on TV news. That's the scariest weather of all as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You made me homesick for spring cleaning day or rather for the results of spring cleaning. There is nothing that smells better than freshly washed walls, windows and curtains and I helped my mom do them all. I did the ironing too, and the dishes, but at the cottage I did my share of pumping and carrying water into the house. My mom and dad gave my brother and me jobs from the time we were little but they weren't assigned by gender like so many other families did when I was growing up. It's good to be reminded of those days so we'll appreciate how good it is now. I don't buy anything that needs irons anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jean, you had a lot of chores, but it sounds as if you enjoyed many of them. I think Mom did think of "boy's" chores and "girl's" chores. He surely had the brunt of it. I iron maybe once a year--the cloths that go on the end tables around the house. Everything I wear is either wrinkle free or I wear the wrinkles!

      By the way, I tried to reply to your reply to my comment on your blog and couldn't. So I'd like to say that at one time, I thought that being a nun defined me. (That's evident in my newly published convent memoir "Prayer Wasn't Enough.) Then maybe being a vegetarian. Now I need to think--at 82--what defines me throughout that span of years. When I have my finger on it, I'll do as you suggest and blog about it! Peace.

      Delete
    2. I look forward to it. You've lived an interesting life.

      Delete