Monday, April 18, 2022

A Song for Youth & Age--Part 2

 

My previous posting detailed a few of my post-convent years. Accompanying that posting was a video of Judy Collins singing the song “Turn, Turn, Turn,” for which Pete Seeger used eight biblical verses. Those verses have woven themselves into the fabric of my life.

Today, I’m returning to one line: “a time you may embrace, a time to refrain from embracing.” I want to share how that line impacted my life in 1967 and on my recent birthday. 

 

When I first heard Seeger sing those words, I’d just been released from the religious vows I’d taken in 1963. I’d taken them in good faith, trusting that in living them, I would more deeply abide in the community of Oneness. 

 

By November 1966, I was mentally ill, hallucinating, yet holding myself together so that I wouldn’t end up in an insane asylum. In a stupor, I walked away from my home of nearly nine years. I’d embraced that home, that life, those vows. Now it was time to cease from embracing them. But, oh, the feeling of failure, the disdain I felt for myself.

 

In that time of internal turmoil, Seeger’s song eased my mind. Trees embraced leaves in Spring; in Autumn, they let go of those leaves. Nature embraced; then refrained from embracing. 

 

Nature let go. Left the past behind.

 

“Turn. Turn. Turn.”

 

I, too, was part of nature. Given that, I began to think about the vows taken in marriage. For thirty years, I’d accepted the Roman Catholic’s teaching on divorce. If there was a season in which I could let go of my vows, then why not those who were married? Didn’t all people change with time? Weren’t they drawn inexorably to a fulfillment that they hadn’t even recognized at one time?

 

And that, of course, was the path to looking at all that I’d accepted as irrevocable. To look. To examine. To question. To let go of the rigidity of my certainity and to open myself to possibilities and alternatives. To see flip sides. To become, in a real way, a critical thinker willing to examine all my beliefs about everything and discover what, if anything, was immutable. 

 

That one verse on embracing led to the overturning of much I’d accepted as unalterable and helped me begin to let go of the judgmental attitude that there is only one way to be, to think, to act—and it’s my way! 

 

Flash forward to my recent birthday: A friend treated me to lunch. As we ate, we talked about aging. She expressed regret because she didn’t get more done each day. I found myself saying, “You know for everything there is a season. During this past winter, you made quilts for your daughter . . .”

 

“I haven’t quilted since Christmas,” she countered.

 

“Maybe,” I offered, “you’re in a new season, one of taking care of yourself. You’ve set a walking goal, and you’re accomplishing it!” 

 

Once home, I considered my own new season. As I’ve posted before, for decades, I believed I had to accomplish something every day to be worthwhile. While encouraging others to be gracious to themselves, I’ve demanded results of myself. What a masochist!

 

Ah, there it is: For decades, I’ve talked the talk; now has come the season to walk the walk . . . of letting go of always feeling that I am not enough. For me, now is a season of contentment in simply being; a season of delight in holding dear who I grew up to be.

 

At 10:30 PM on my birthday, content with where and who I am, I lay on my bed, put in my eyes the final drops of the day, and said to my mini-google, “Please play some music for me.” 

 

And guess what? 

 

The song Google chose, one I hadn’t heard in years, was Pete Seeger singing, “Turn, Turn, Turn.” 

 

Mystery and peace.


(PS: It's another mystery to me why white appears behind so many lines!)

16 comments:

  1. Serendipity was at play in Google's choice of music for you. I do hope that you smiled, and drifted off to a peaceful night's sleep.
    And yes, I hear you on being much kinder to others than I am to myself. I frequently have attacks of inadequacy but am slowly (mostly) learning to let them go...
    And happy belated birthday dear friend across the seas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sue, I didn't sleep right away because I was caught up in the wonder--the serendipity--of hearing that song on that day.

      Thank you for the birthday greeting, and I hope you know that we're in this self-worth struggle together. My childhood explains it; I don't know what explains your not being kinder to yourself, but let's both accept that "we're mighty fine women!!!!" and go from there. Peace, pressed down and overflowing.

      Delete
  2. Another thought-provoking post, Dee. Being satisfied with our daily accomplishments isn't as easy as it should be.

    I wish I could answer your tech question about the white highlighter. Some mystery coding got where it doesn't belong is my guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jean, so often, here on the computer and also on my iPad, something happens that's totally unexpected--often an unwelcome surprise. I'm just inept at technology. Several times on my iPad I've lost comments that came for me to moderate because my finger touched "spam or delete" instead of "publish."

      However, I tend to think that everything works out to good if I just trust that "all shall be well" as Julian of Norwich said so many centuries ago during the plague. Take care. Peace.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad to hear your contentment taking over and leading you into serenity. Your song coming just by chance (which I don't believe in) was a delightful birthday present, I think. Sending you lots and lots of love, Dee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear DJan, what a dear you are! It truly was a delightful birthday gift at the end of a satisfying day. The song speaks to me of so many seasons of my life. The one I'm in now truly is bring me serenity.

      And in that inner quiet, I was surprised the other day as I prayed when an idea for a book--a totally new manuscript--came to me. It feels so right and it's so exciting to think about. I'm just "tickled pink!" about writing something absolutely new. And the idea came after I'd let go of the belief that I had to write no matter what! Life is good. Peace.

      Delete
  4. I hope your friend took that new thought into her mind and then into her heart. Every day is a new beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne, like you, I hope she did. So much of what I'm reading and thinking about--and so much of what friends, like you, are saying to me give me the confidence to let go of what was and to embrace new beginnings. And as you say, they are happening every day. Peace, ever and always.

      Delete
  5. That would have given me happy chills to hear that song at that time.
    We do have seasons. This particular one I am both unhappy about yet content with. Not being able to do as I once could is frustrating but I'm also rather enjoying the lack of demands. We must turn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patti, thank you for sharing that you, too, are realizing a new season in your life. For me, the demands that are going away are the ones I've put on myself for many years. Friends, family haven't demanded that I do this or that--it's Dee Ready who's made the demands.

      And in this new season of my life (I'm thinking of "The September Song." ("Oh, it's a long, long time from May to December . . .") Do you remember that song? Well, I feel as if I'm in the maybe late October of my lifer even early November, and it feels like a whole new beginning. A gift from the Universe.

      I hope it's like that for you, Patti, because I so understand being unhappy and yet content. For a number of years, I've experiences the vicissitudes of health and tried to ignore what my body was telling me about my energy levels.

      But now, I've accepted that truly all shall be we'll so long as I do my part. And right now, my part has been to start using a cane. It's such a help when I walk across parking lots at restaurants.

      Take care. Let's both be good to ourselves. Peace.

      Delete
  6. It thrills me when things like that song coming on happen. What are the chances!?! Coincidence, serendipity, accident — one can believe what you choose. I think they are a gift and I lavish thanks upon the Universe for providing them. I’m glad you received a confirmation that contentment with simply being is right for this stage of your life in this way. I hope it brings you peace and contentment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cynthia, like you, I think the song was a gift from the Holy Oneness of All Creation. And sharing it in this posting is part of our Oneness for I know readers are thrilled for me and that makes us One.

      I am feeling both peace and contentment that is moving into a serenity I never expected. I've let go of the burden of being this or that or something/someone else.

      In a sense, I've returned to the little girl I remember--a child of great happiness and surety, filled with wonder. I'm embracing her of the Essence of who I've always been called to be.

      Peace.

      Delete
  7. dear Dee i am mesmerized by your way of putting things as beautifully and impressively !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    self analyzing or self examining is most difficult job in this whole world and there are rare who dare to face themselves and determine to rearrange their mindset .you have gift of insightfulness and wisdom that helped you to shape you in even a better way .in such way we always bring goodness in our life my friend and i think this is the reward for accomplishing the most difficult job .
    what you said to your friend was most accurate and beautiful thing indeed. life bring odds and challenges so it can melt us down and transform and this transformation is impossible without "flexibility that we learn while fighting those odd circumstances .
    i am truly happy for you my dearest friend dee that you recognized the call of the nature and decided to attend teh season of relaxation so you can feel good while contemplating over your achievements you had until now .
    thinking of you heart filled with prays and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Baili, thank you for your kind words about my writing and my self-examination. For the past two years, as I've tried to write another memoir, I've been examining my life. I thought of it from my point of view, and then I tried to think of it was the point of view of my parents, relatives, and friends. What an eye-opener to go beyond my own subjective view, seeing everything from my point of view. Shifting gears has led me to some sobering realizations that I am now, in this third year, accepting and embracing. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A belated Happy Birthday wish to you! Wonderful that you are feeling contentment. Life does bring changes, often when we least expect them.

    I meant to add a comment to one of your earlier posts I thought might interest you about a young woman with whom you might empathize. When I read of your experience I was reminded of meeting her, also named Dee as I recall, when I returned to post Grad school in the late seventies. We spoke a few times between classes we shared. She, too, spoke of FBI surveillance for a number of years complicating her life and that of others.

    You may recall years earlier there was a group of young people who disregarded U.S. govt policy against going to Cuba after Castro took over. She said she had earlier met and become romantically involved with a young man. So when he wanted to go to Cuba with friends they had made she joined him. She described playing ping pong with Castro. She said she had no anti-American sentiments but discovered when they returned to the U.S. they were under suspicion for some time, also experienced problems gaining employment. I think she and the young man had since parted company.

    She sometimes seemed uneasy, was nervous, looking about the crowd of people we walked through to a different building for a class one time. She identified a couple guys to me she was convinced were govt. agents. I think she experienced health issues and complained of migraine headaches.

    I later transferred to a Univ. closer to my home. I think she did complete her degree program but we didn't have contact then and I don't even recall her full name now.

    Life events as we all learn can complicate matters for us but, fortunately, we can make our way through them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A belated happy birthday to you. This song was synchronicity for sure. And what is its definition? “ Synchronicity is an incident of spiritual significance that ask us to momentarily dampen our self-obsession and consider the possibility of the divine.” Obviously the divine was watching you and is helping you be happy in the moment.

    ReplyDelete