Monday, April 4, 2022

A Song for Youth & Age (Part 1)


Fifty-six years ago, having left the convent just three months short of my thirty-first birthday, one of the songs I first heard was “Turn, Turn, Turn.” (Its title was also “For Everything There Is a Season.”) 

           For this song, the beloved folk singer Pete Seeger had composed music to accompany the first eight verses of Chapter 3 of the Book of Ecclesiastes. The only lyrics he’d added were the refrain (turn, turn, turn) and the last verse on peace being possible even then . . . even now. 

During the escalation of the Vietnam War, I mostly listened to folk music. Seeger’s “Turn, Turn, Turn,” and Dylan’s “Blowing in the Wind” became anti-war songs. Those two anthems radicalized me politically.

 Two other insightful songs, “Sounds of Silence” by Simon and Garfunkel and “All I Know” by Garfunkel, spoke to the recesses of my heart that I’d bolted and locked. The songs seemed to be the soundtrack for my life—emotionally, spiritually, politically. They charted my journey from where I’d been, to where I was then, to where I might be headed. 

At the time, three companions—three psychotic hallucinations whom I could both see and hear—accompanied me everywhere. Daily, the four of us imprisoned one another: one cheered me on, one cautioned me, one excoriated me. And I? I said nothing. I played a role that hid me from what I expected would be the loathing of others.

The two anti-war songs, plus the example of two friends whom I’d met in Dayton, Ohio, led me to protest the Vietnam War, which led to shotguns being aimed at me and guard dogs sicked on me. It also led to my meeting men who’d come back from the war, their hopes, dreams, and minds bruised and battered irrevocably by the war and by the reception they’d received on campus. 

In August 1971, after completing my studies for a graduate degree, I returned to Dayton only to learn—from a kind storeowner from whom I’d sought employment—that the FBI had a file on me and was encouraging those to whom I applied for work to disregard me. According to the bureau, I’d become both traitorous and unemployable. Fortunately, I was able to get a job in a factory beyond the city boundaries and later to teach at a drop-out center for Black students. 

In the late 1960s, while teaching at an inner-city school in Dayton, I’d taught students the history of slavery; taken them into the downtown area where many of them had never been; and written numerous letters to federal, state, and city government leaders about Civil Rights, racism, and segregation. I’d also written to department store owners who had no black mannequins in their window displays. I have no idea if that info was also in the file. And, if so, what it implied to the FBI.

I was not a true social activist for I was never arrested or jailed. I was in some season of my life that did not include imprisonment but did include gathering with others to right wrongs. 

The songs of the 1960s and early 1970s accompanied me from Minnesota to Ohio to New Hampshire to Missouri and back to Minnesota. They inspired me, helped me discover and name my loneliness and fears, and brought me ever closer to revealing to someone the three hallucinations who hounded me. 

As my life changed in those turbulent times that ultimately, for me, became years of settling down, finding a career, and discovering my passion for writing, Seeger’s song especially continued to speak to me: “For everything there is a season.” I found new meanings in it as my experiences evolved. 

That’s what his song did then when I was young in thought and hope. In my next posting, I hope to share with you what happened on my recent birthday that connects Seeger’s song with my aging. 

Peace.

19 comments:

  1. Dear Dee, I am always fascinated to learn a little more about your rich life - and look forward to the next post. And yes, For Everything there is a season is a meaningful song for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sue, I'm wondering if what I have to post in two weeks will jibe with the reasons the song is meaningful to you. It's so clear that we've both been through many seasons. Peace.

      Delete
  2. Do you still hear/see the 3 voices?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sandi, no I don't. They were with me for ten years until a psychiatrist put me on an anti-psychotic drug. I've taken it ever since. Peace.

      Delete
  3. What an interesting period in your life, probably more so looking back when time has had a chance to put it in context with the all the moving parts around that unjust war. Now, it's easy to see your FBI file as a badge of honor but at the time it must have been frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jean, it was frightening, but somehow my going out of the city for a job was okay. While at the factory, I tried to start a union and that ended up with the management threatening the women who'd worked there for years and badly needed the job. I also got threatened and warned. Fortunately, I found the job at the Black drop-out center and so was able to move on. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My three folk heroes, my three songs. I bet your FBI reputation came via Mr. Nixon. I came to his attention when I marched in Cleveland and wrote letters to the government explaining why Cambodia was off limits, as was all of Vietnam. My puny income tax return was audited, though nothing was found. What a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne, I'm also think it had to do with "tricky Nicky." Like you, I marched and also knocked on doors in neighbors in Minneapolis. However, I wasn't audited, but then in those years I made so little money that I'm not even sure I had to pay taxes. As the song says, "Wasn't that a time." Peace.

      Delete
    2. Dear Joanne, meant to say, "Tricky Dicky." At least that's what I remember all of us calling him. Was it something else? Peace.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful songs, many memories for me, too. Memories of protest but also coffee houses, hootenanies, and dear friends. I look forward to how these memories tie in to your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cynthia, yes, those hootenannies! Many of my friends from that era have died, but oh we so enjoyed our songs and so fretted and prayed and protested over the war. Peace.

      Delete
  7. Music speaks to me, too, in so many ways. I appreciate reading your account of significant years in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joared, thank you. In the weeks ahead, I hope to share other songs that have touched my life. Peace.

      Delete
  8. What an amazing and totally authentic life you've had, Dee! This musical soundtrack is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kathy, thank you for your kind words. My life doesn't seem amazing to me. I had no children; I wasn't married, so I had time to do things that mattered to me. I do hope that I've lived authentically. That is, that I've been true to the essence of myself. You, too, I think. Peace.

      Delete
  9. I was going back though my old blog posts and found you. So much of what is written today has no heart, soul or, dare I say it, age. Being 80 myself I am inspired by your energy. Thank you for that.

    I am not driven like you were but, as a new widow, I still see so many possibilities ahead for my life. That makes me very happy and content.

    Be well.

    b+

    https://www.retireinstyleblogtoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Barbara, thank you for stopping by. I visited your blog today and left a posting about looking for and finding good. You surely are doing that. And it's wonderful that you see so many possibilities ahead for your life. What a gift you are giving yourself by being so positive. Peace.

      Delete