Sunday, February 25, 2018

Gratitude for the Present


Rivers imprint my life. Everywhere I’ve lived in eight decades has been near a river: the Muddy Mo, the Connecticut River, the Great Miami, the St. Croix, the Mississippi. Today I want to use the image of a river to share with you my thoughts on living in the present.

I think of my life as a river. It began in the tranquil lake of my mother’s womb. From there, it has flowed through the Land of Time on its way to the welcome of the Ocean of Eternity. The journey of that river, which is my life, has a history—past, present, future.

In the past, the river of myself met rapids that clashed against large boulders. Often, they blocked my way forward. Overarching willow branches shadowed the river of myself. Storms raged; bitter rain fell into the flow, which ended dammed in the Land of Past Time. Unable to flow forward and find the course beckoning me, I grew stagnant in that dam.

When the dam burst, I rushed forward, a waterfall plunging into the lake below. I then began to live in the Land of Future Time—always leaping the rapids, creating mercurial currents that hurtled forward to get somewhere, anywhere, perhaps to the rainbow’s promise.

Now, because of a deep gratitude that brightens my days, I flow gently, caught up in the moment that the Land of Presence unfolds for me. By day, I bask in the sun’s rays; by night in the moon’s beams. I flow past field and forest, valley and canyon. Each of these bring some gift into the river of my life. Deep within my current, I embrace the moment as it is given to me.

And that, I suppose, is what makes living in the present so rewarding. In this moment, I find that which is a blessing in my life. Gratitude springs within me like the many springs that enter the river of my life. Fresh spring water trickles into the stream of my flow. So many springs throughout so many miles of Time. So much, so many for whom to be grateful.

Living in gratitude, I have discovered, is the surest way to live in the present. Right now, I have a mug of steeping Earl Grey tea nearby; warm slippers on my feet; light from the table lamp; no Meniere’s headache; no arthritic pain. For all this I am grateful.

And if there were pain, what would it matter? My body is giving me a message: Rest. Take your prescription. Be calm. In this moment, I stop and listen. The Holy Oneness of All Creation gives me these posting words, one word after the other, surprising me, enlightening me. All is well. And all shall be well in the future. I need not worry. The river has flowed through all the landscapes of time and still it flows, undaunted.

Is its mouth around the next bend? At the end of the next valley? I do not know. I do not need to know. I know only that in this Land of Present Time I have today to write the Amazon blurb for the convent memoir—Prayer Wasn’t Enough. Daily, the river of my life flows into the unknown route ahead. The future. I do the work of the moment. This day.

I need only, as so many say, “Go with the flow.” Or as the Beatles said, “Let it be.”  I need only embrace this moment. And so I do.


Peace.

28 comments:

  1. Beautiful description of the journey. I've learned it even is possible to have a conversation with pain, and tame it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne, yes, I understand the having a conversation with pain. I tend to enter into it and dwell within it and that helps me live in the present and helps me realize that I do not control it, nor does it control me--it is simply the flow of life through me. Peace.

      Delete
  2. Beautifully written and filled with your sweet soul stirrings, Dee. Thank you for sharing this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear DJan, I like that expression "soul stirrings." Thank you for it. Peace.

      Delete
  3. Two comments with the first word being beautiful. That is the how I felt also. Your words touched me so, Dee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Arleen, so wonderful to have you back to blogging! I'm hoping that one day soon you will post an "I'm Okay" post that will catch us up with your life. I find that reading blogs takes me to worlds and fields far away from my own reclusiveness. Mostly I'm home because of not driving and so I find myself grateful that I enjoy my own company! but oh it's good to read what others are doing and thinking and hoping. Peace ever and always to you.

      Delete
  4. I love these words especially: My body is giving me a message: Rest. Take your prescription. Be calm.

    Many can identify with this. Your analogy of rivers is so apt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Susan, the analogy of the river has worked for me during all the vicissitudes of my life. I grew up out in the country and a wide creek ran through our twenty acres. I spent my days, after doing the chores Mom gave me, down at that creek with my imaginary friend--the lion Arthur. That creek helped me through a difficult childhood. I am so grateful for it and for the analogy it gave me all those years ago. Peace.

      Delete
  5. Dee, I like this post very much. I find that life IS like a river that sweeps you along... and I've always let it take me where it would... never really having the time (when at school, then working and raising a family) to think about it much. Now being retired, I find there's lots of time for thinking - which is good in some ways and not so good in others. But if we focus on gratitude - for all that we've had and have, then it's easier to live in the present. Yes, go with the flow... and if the waters get rough, just hang on... they'll even out eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rian, as a child I had lots of time to think when I spent my days by the creek that ran through our farm. So it became a life-time habit and because of not being married or raising children, I've always, in general, had time for it. But it really is only in the last 10-12 years that I've discovered that gratitude is the key to living in the present. It's been such a gift and I'm glad it's that way for you too. Peace.

      Delete
  6. I need to remember to be both grateful & be present. Reading your post, I am reminded of, I think, words from the 60s generation: BE HERE NOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bea, Yes, "Be here now." There is only the now where we truly can be who we are today. I think of myself as a compendium of all my life. Walt Whitman in his "Leaves of Grass" has greatly influenced my acceptance of myself and the present. Peace.

      Delete
  7. I have come to the same conclusion, that gratitude is the key to happiness and a full life. I'm still working on the pain thing, though, the struggle with being grateful when I'm kept from the things I want to do so badly. I know the answer but sometimes I can't get with the program!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cynthia, isn't it wonderful that we've come to realize the central position of gratitude in a happy life! As to pain, it is so difficult to accept that we have to let go of our plans when pain stops us in our tracks. What I've learned for myself is that the way I respond to those times brings inner peace. I have no control over them and so I enter into the moment of the pain and dwell there. Peace.

      Delete
  8. Well said. I think at this age and in my caretaker role I've adopted a similar outlook. Always remember each day the river is never exactly the same. Only the adventures are a bit smaller...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Troutbirder, I do try to remember to live the day as it presents itself. Not always easy since I make plans and then everything changes, but slowly I learn to embrace what is. And yes, the adventures are a bit smaller. Makes me think of that saying, "Less is more." Peace.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for stopping by, Dee! Missouri River created so many opportunities for many.

    Yes, I am writing about my family, but taking a much different road. Please stop by! susankanewriter@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Susan, I'll stop by the site you gave me. Looking forward to discovering the different road you're taking. Peace.

      Delete
  10. Great analogy. I heard someone say recently that you never step in the same river twice. Not sure how that relates to this except to say that the river flowing past a set point is a different one every day just as we grow and evolve and are different today than we were yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Molly, I think you could write an intriguing post about "never stepping in the same river twice." That would be an analogy that would lend itself to all the different experiences we have and to the fact that as we grow older, we change--if we are open to change that is! Think about it. Peace.

      Delete
  11. Dear Dee. First I wanna thank you for the check-up comment you left on my blog. I've been away for a while but I'm back and ready to be inspired and inspire others. That being said, I have to tell you what a beautiful and wonderful post this was. The idea of comparing your life to a river. The way you look at life is inspiring to me. And your words are so calming and light. I hope you know you're like a ray of sunshine that makes people smile with your positive attitude and kind words. You truly are spreading peace! And I thank you for that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Baiba, it is so good to hear from you. I'm glad all is well. Thank you for the kind words about t his posting and about my attitude toward life. I so appreciate your telling me that I spread peace. That is essential to what I want to do with my life. Peace.

      Delete
  12. A very thoughtful piece, something that we come to at the time of our latter years, if we are lucky. It feels good to stop worrying, rushing around, fretting about tomorrow. again, if we are lucky. There are those who never stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Friko, I do know how fortunate I am in so many ways and I am grateful for that. Just today at the grocery store, I found myself wondering why I was so lucky. That's a question that really can't be answered. Life just is. And maybe there have been past lives that explain this one. All, I have come to believe, is Mystery. Peace.

      Delete
  13. Dee,you asked what brand my purple shoes were in your comment on my blog. They are Merrells, my favorite brand. They last forever and fit my feet well. My Merrell sandals are 6 summers old, have been on many trips with lots of walking, and still look nice. I probably I sound like an ad for the company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cynthia, I'm checking for where I can find Merrells. Thanks so much for the tip! Peace.

      Delete
  14. Cheers to being in the present and to flowing rivers! It takes less energy to be present yet such a challenge as we get easily distracted.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Thefolia, I don't stay in the present all the time. Often I find myself thinking about the future and my writing, so yes, I think I get distracted!!!! Peace.

    ReplyDelete