Saturday, February 17, 2018

Dreaming an Idyllic Future




Last Sunday I wrote about living in the past and feeling more comfortable there than in the present. During my early years, I lived, as most children do, in the present. Up to the age of thirty, when I left the convent, my mind and spirit were rooted in the day.


But between December 1966, when I left the convent, and 1992, when A Cat’s Life: Dulcy’s Story was published, I lived in the past, stewing about the experiences that had left me emotionally scarred and immature.

During those twenty-six years. I taught in grade and high school, earned a master’s degree in American Studies, worked as an editor and curriculum developer, and became a successful freelancer.

During those same years, I volunteered at an AIDS clinic; taught in an African-American dropout center; tried to organize a union in a department-store factory; taught in the inner city; got involved in Civil Rights; worked in political campaigns; and protested the Vietnam War.

The events of the day caught and held my attention, but still, when alone, I lived in the past, trying to discover why my psyche was broken.

Then in 1992, Crown published A Cat’s Life. The New York publishing firm later credited me with selling most of the 14,000 copies of the book that reached an audience. I liked to do all that marketing entailed. Within months, the hoopla affected my thinking patterns. Throughout my life I’d longed to be special. Then no one would abandon me as I thought my parents had in 1941.

And what, I thought, could be more special than a famous author? Almost overnight I went from dwelling in the past to dreaming of a bright and shining future. A future in which I’d be healed.

I longed to have an agent represent my writing; an editor encourage my ideas; a publicist market my books; readers who’d ask, “What’s your next book going to be about?” “When's it being published?” “Will your author tour bring you to our city?”

I dreamed of fame. Not to be a celebrity, but to be assured that readers would eagerly await my next book. And my next. I didn’t long for a wagonload of money—just enough to build a four-season porch on my house. I wanted my name to be recognized so my writing would be read.

The years passed: 1994, 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008. During all those years, I continued to write and to send query letters to agents. No luck; no interest. I began to accept that I couldn’t write well enough to be published. I was a hack.

Then in May 2011 I began to blog. A number of those who read my posts left comments complimenting my writing. Ah. Perhaps I wasn’t a total failure at the craft of writing. Perhaps.

The following year, Wayman Press published Dulcy’s second book: A Cat’s Legacy. Once again I spun dreams of the future: I’d be successful. Readers would enjoy my stories. I’d build that porch! I’d hire someone to help me research my planned Bronze-Age trilogy. I’d hire an artist to illustrate the cat books I planned. Once again, I dreamed big! Whenever I dwelt in thought, I lived in the future, dreaming of what might happen any day, any week, any month if only I held on.



I went from dwelling in the past to dreaming of an idyllic future. What would guide me into the delight of the present? That’s next week’s post!

Peace.

Photographs from Wikipedia.

14 comments:

  1. Dee, I read 'all those things' you've done in your life and yet you felt you needed more... like become a famous writer. Not that this isn't a great aspiration, but I get from what you wrote that it wasn't necessarily the fame, but it meant you would be loved and adored ... and 'special'. Every person should feel special. It makes me sad to think that everyone doesn't.
    You also said that you 'liked' all that marketing entailed. I can't imagine that. I love to write, but when it comes to marketing - I cringe. Too much of a private person to want myself out there. My sister once told me that I was too content. Perhaps she was right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rian, according to the psychiatrists (3), who helped me during the 1970s, the event of seemingly early abandonment left me insecure and feeling that anyone at anytime could leave me. That has influenced much of my life. Only really in the last ten years or so have I been able to shake off the effects of that and find myself to be a worthwhile human being. I began to cherish myself and love myself. But the journey was long.

      With regard to marketing,I did like the meeting of people and hearing their stories about the cats with whom they'd lived.

      I think it's wonderful that you may be "too content." Out of that must come a peace that touches all those you meet. Peace.

      Delete
  2. Dee, I read your posts and feel so much empathy. Not about myself, for I really am a brazen hussy, in my little world. But my grandchildren, who were abandoned. Other grandmothers I know, raising their grand children, and even one now raising great grands. I hope there is a secure ending for the little children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne, the last psychiatrist--Dr. Nimlos--explained to me that being abandoned or feeling abandoned can be the seminal experience of a child. Like you, I pray for the children whose life is shattered by this betrayal. Peace.

      Delete
  3. I have a lot of insecurity regarding my writing (and many other things as well). I am so afraid of failing that it's hard to get the words on a page. I have written two and a half books, but I am not happy with them. I am trying to gain enough gumption to start on my memoir, as I feel that is the book I'm meant to write. It's easy to jump ahead with thoughts of how great it would be to be published, to be recognized and validated. I think you have accomplished a lot, and while it may not be completely what you hoped for, it's a lot to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Amy, thank you for stopping by. I'll come to your blog this week and we can start getting acquainted through our comments.

      Thank you for the assurance that I can be proud of what I have done. I need to hear that. In a few weeks, I will be self-publishing a convent memoir--"Prayer Wasn't Enough." I worked on it off and on for four years and I'm happy with the way it turned out. I wish the same for you.

      Writing a memoir is so cathartic. It put my life and the convent years into perspective and helped me realize exactly why I entered and why I stayed for as long as I did and why I finally left. I'd never really examined all that closely.

      So I encourage you to consider the memoir. Peace.

      Delete
  4. I read of the list of things you have accomplished and yet amazed that you did not feel "special." I am sure all those people you touched know you are quite special. Your helping and championing others counts enormously.
    The beauty of blogging is the instant feed back. We don't have to wait for the publishing gears to grind, we know right away. All we have to do is hit "publish" from our dashboard. Sometimes we toss out a winner, sometimes a clinker but there is always next time.
    I admire your wanting to make the book tour and hope you do but I also hope you will enjoy these many mini successes via Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patti, you are so right about blogging and the instant feedback. It has helped me enormously as I now trust my writing ability and also I now have much less of a hunger to "have" to see myself published.

      That will all, I hope, be part of next week's posting about living in the present. I think you live there. Your postings reflect that. So I'm learning from you and others. Peace.

      Delete
  5. some souls are here to do something special and until they can't do this they feel lost and restless no matter how far they accomplish nothing can satisfy their desire for doing more as they don't know still what really they meant to do .
    i am proud of you that you are not lost in stress or anxiety because of pressure that your consciousness bring over you i am sure one day you will achieve what you have designed for dear Dee!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Baili, I do feel that I was meant to write. That the words come from some deep place within me where Oneness dwells. Thank you for understanding. Peace.

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to read your convent memoir, Dee. After reading something about your experiences on your blog, I know it's going to be very meaningful to me. And I'm awaiting next week's post about dwelling in the present as it's something I'm working toward, too -- "being present".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cynthia, you know, I think that all of us work at living in the present. At "being present." At sacramentalizing the moment--which is what the convent tried to teach us to do.

      The convent memoir--"Prayer Wasn't Enough"--will be published sometime in the next 4 to 6 weeks I think. I'm so grateful to my eldest niece for helping me with the formatting and all that goes into publishing. Peace.

      Delete
  7. That is a lot of experience and you have made good use of it now.
    I just love that first drawing. The body stance of the guy who is using all his strength to press....... simply superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Haddock, I found that drawing on Wikipedia and felt so grateful to find something that really encapsulates what getting published is for me! Peace.

      Delete