Wednesday, December 22, 2021

"O Oriens"--An Inbreaking: Part 2



Part 1 of “The In-Breaking of Light” provided the background for today’s posting about an in-breaking that lifted my spirits out of a malaise that began in November 2019. In future postings, I hope to explain what happened two years ago that brought me to what felt like an impasse. 


Let us begin:

 

As I explained yesterday, my rereading of my December 7th posting left me befuddled. Last Tuesday, I went to bed somewhat disgruntled about myself. For a few minutes I played spider solitaire on my iPad. Then, wearied by my own loss of hope, I leaned back into the headrest. 

 

Closing my eyes, I went to the deep center of myself where Oneness dwells—has always dwelt no matter how I’ve tried to flee or ignore or remonstrate. Always there. At the deep center of my being. Always.

 

I let myself sink into the River of Oneness flowing through that center. Always and ever, I, a diminutive drop of life-giving water for humankind, enter the stream that moves inexorably toward Wholeness—toward the vast Ocean of Oneness that absorbs us so that all touches all and we unite in the great Alleluia of Life and Light, Love and Being. We become One.

 

This is the way I now meditate. It’s not the way of my thirties and forties. That served me well . . . then. The meditation of myself in Oneness has served me now for some forty years. I never read anything about what I’d come to believe and hold blest. I simply experienced living and reflected on it. Slowly the realization of Oneness came to me.

 

Yet just this past year, I discovered a writer who has published several books on Oneness. I am now on Richard Rohr’s daily meditation mailing list. For now, at least, he and I seem to be on the same path in our spiritual journey. He’s traveled farther than I; I stumble along trusting Oneness.

 

So, I’m meditating last Tuesday, flowing within the River of Oneness, and suddenly, light breaks in. Some would say, “an insight.” Raised as a Roman Catholic, I’d say I experienced a lovely grace—the Presence of all those who, throughout my life, have raised me, taught and educated me, befriended me, mourned with me, rejoiced with me, cherished me.

 

In that grace-filled moment, a sudden, and to me, surprising, thought came: “Why has my life narrowed down so?” 

 

With great certitude, I realized that it had nothing to do with the pandemic. No. I, myself, have allowed my life to narrow down to five activities: meditating, struggling to write a memoir, puzzling over spider solitaire, listening to mystery novels, and watching BritBox. Five!

 

Then another thought: “When and why did writing become the thumbtack that nailed me to only one definition of success: a published book read by many?”

 

It was then that the light promised by Advent dawned within me. The “O” AntiphonO Orienssaid at Vespers on December 21 each year beseeches Oneness to send us light—the light we all need if we are to grow into wholeness.

 

O Morning Star,

splendor of eternal light and sun of justice,

come and shine on those who dwell in darkness

and the shadow of death.

 

For Christians, that Morning Star is Yeshua. For myself, Yeshua is one human—a beloved one—among many. Among all. So that Morning Star is the Oneness of all humans who—however and whenever and wherever I have met them—have shed light into the darkness of my own doubt. 

 

Tomorrow, I hope to share with you how that River of Light that streamed through my bemusement brought change. You will, I trust, rejoice with me when you read the next installment. 

 

Peace. 

 

13 comments:

  1. I will check out Richard Rohr. And I'm so glad to see you are writing and meditating and seem to be doing well during these very trying times. Thank you for sending out these missives.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear DJan, I'm wondering--it's February now--if you subscribed to the daily messages from Rohr, who is a Franciscan priest. And , , , if so , , , are you enjoying them? He speaks to me often. However, I'm still struggling with the Universal Christ language he explains and the Trinity. It's not that I think differently from Rohr, but simply that I've not been able to wrap my understanding around his beliefs. And yet, I know that threaded through all--and probably what he means by the Universal Christ is what I call "Oneness." His theology invites me to discovery. If you are reading him, I hope you are, too, are discovering depths in yourself of which you were unaware. Peace.

      Delete
  2. Thank you. I look forward to reading more and am delighted to read that you have/are experiencing positive change. Huge hugs and much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sue, thank you for hugs and love. Your belief in me always lifts my spirits like refreshing water. Peace.

      Delete
  3. When someone talks about Oneness I'm reminded of one of my favorite book quotes:

    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs...

    “I sat there and forgot and forgot, until what remained was the river that went by and I who watched. On the river the heat mirages danced with each other and then they danced through each other and then they joined hands and danced around each other. Eventually the watcher joined the river, and there was only one of us...”
    ― Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through it

    Probably not your standard meditation quotes but it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jean, I would say this was an absolutely welcoming meditation quote. I will read the book because Maclean and I seem to be coming at the idea of Oneness with somewhat of the same image. thanks so much for sharing. Peace.

      Delete
  4. It seems you have stumbled into an awakening that most of us look for but never quite make it. So happy for you and can't wait to hear more. I will check out Richard Rohr also. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patti, I believe we all have "epiphanies" of grace or illumination or understanding. They come upon us when we are unaware and for moments or minutes they hover about us and move within us. They come from meeting a person's smile or seeing a ribboned sunrise or simply realizing the happiness that is swelling with us.

      I'm wondering if you've had the time to check out Rohr. And, if so, what you think. Peace.

      Delete
  5. Never heard of Richard Rohr till now, will check him out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jo-Anne, I'm wondering if you've had time to check out Rohr. And, if so, did his writing appeal to you or not? He looks at spirituality and Christianity quite differently from many other writers. Peace.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Dear Joanne, I did do one more posting. Then I took a hiatus because of the need for rest. I so hope you are feeling better after your hospital and nursing home stays. I hope, too, that you are taking extraordinary care of yourself. You matter to so many of us. Peace.

      Delete
  7. what a blessed soul you are dear Dee ,i am so fortunate that i was able to know you through blogging and i am thankful for that .it is rare to find people in this world who think like you in some ways ,specially this is the topic where i feel my being is rotating around this Oneness like moth around candle .

    yes i am just like in among those who started to realize that in the deep center of their being there flows river of oneness and they flow towards it inevitably. i am so happy that i have discovered this truth within me my friend .
    i am grateful for your enlightened posts who always help me to understand what is happening to me and thank you is not enough i know !

    i was away from blog for two weeks but now i am here to get light you bring to us :)
    hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete