Sunday, September 16, 2018

Voila!

As I posted last week, my dream porch was a four-season one with an air conditioning unit to allay the hot, humid summers in Missouri + a wall heating unit for the state’s mild winters. When that wasn’t feasible because of cost, I sat at the kitchen table, writing my Morning Pages, working through my letting go of a dream.

After filling pages 1 and 2 with my scribbling, I began page 3—the final page of each Morning Page entry. It was then that clarity came as it so often did. I’d listed the economic facts, I’d explored my feelings, I’d written why I wanted the porch and what it would do for my psyche and for the cats. In other words, I’d presented my “case.”

The third page would be the “closing argument” and the “verdict.”

Then the words came. Suddenly I was able to get out of the tunnel of my vision and see the options beyond. Something occurred to me—something that simply hadn’t been part of my thinking: I could have a screened-in porch!

In your comments last week, a number of you mentioned that I could think of other possibilities; some of you even suggested a screened-in porch. But I tell you now that I’ve always been burdened with the “all-or-nothing” syndrome, just like Will Parker in the musical “Oklahoma,” which Rogers and Hammerstein produced on Broadway in 1943.




My uncle owned the recording, and I listened to it all of one summer as I babysat his and my aunt’s new baby—my cousin Kay. The song just stuck in my mind and became—I now believe—foundational to my approach to life. It may be part of why the convent experience ended with my breakdown. It surely is a part of my obsessive behavior with regard to writing. (I’ll post about that soon.)

The Morning Pages helped me let go of having an “all-or-nothing” dream of a porch. Surely a screened-in porch would cost much less than $21,000 and would be pleasant for three seasons of the year if I bought an oscillating fan.

When I shared this “revelation” with my brother and sister-in-law, they suggested that I ask their neighbor—a contractor for jobs both large and small—if he would build it. When I called Manuel and introduced myself, he agreed to stop by to determine the time needed to build the porch and the cost of materials and labor.

The rest is history. Manuel came, accepted the job, and got busy on it later in July. The cats and I have been enjoying it since then. I’d post a photograph, but I don’t know how to get the photos from my phone to the computer. (That’s something I need to learn. Just one of many aspects of technology that elude me.)

I had the furniture for the porch because of the four-season I had in Minnesota. However, I needed to buy a rug that would be water repellant. I got that from Amazon. One end of the porch faces west and the sun really pours through the screen there, so I bought two bamboo shades. They were on sale at Penney’s. Each shade had been reduced from $60 to $15! So I lucked out there in a big way.

I’m so glad my Morning pages jack-hammered me out of the concrete of thinking only one kind of porch would do. As to economics: the porch cost me 1/7th of what the four-season would have: $3,300 for labor, materials, and accoutrements! I didn’t need to get a loan! Wow!

Peace



33 comments:

  1. That's wonderful! I know you and the cats can enjoy a screen porch almost as much as a 3 season porch, maybe even more when you gotten through a whole year and know it's "personality."

    When you find out how to get a photo off your phone to post on a blog, please share it. I have the same issue. I did find a work-around but I know there is a better way. I email the photo to myself, then I save the photo on my computer and from there it's easy to post them the normal way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jean, I'll try what you suggest. I'll also ask my eldest niece exactly how she does it. I only hope that one of the two ways works for me because I'd like to show everyone just how wonderful this porch is! Peace.

      Delete
  2. Dee, that's so wonderful! And that you have been enjoying it for awhile now makes me very happy! Congratulations on making such a perfect space. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First Djan, yes, i've been enjoying it for about six weeks now. Having my morning cup of tea out there with the cats investigating every cranny is a treat for me each day! Peace.

      Delete
  3. "I’ve always been burdened with the “all-or-nothing” syndrome..."

    Haha! Who can not relate to this?? :)

    It really worked out well. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sandi, do you have that syndrome also? It's is such a burden, but I'm learning to let it go and to "let go and let Oneness guide my day." What a relief and I feel so much less guilt. I was always feeling like a failure. Peace.

      Delete
    2. " I was always feeling like a failure."

      Funny how we can drop into that sometimes, when it is not even true. :(

      Delete
    3. Dear Sandi, yes, we slip into believing the worst about ourselves. Peace.

      Delete
  4. A lot of happy smiles here! I'm a NE Ohio kid who grew up with a lot of three season spaces. Our front porch; our patio in the back yard. Just what we did, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne, we had no porch when I was growing up and none in the various mission convents in which I lived nor in the first few places I lived in the years after the convent. Only when I bought a home in Minnesota--back in 1977--did I finally have a porch and discover just what an addition one was to my life. Peace.

      Delete
  5. So glad you figured it out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Fishducky, I am such a slow learner! Things just don't occur to me. Peace.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful news. I am so glad that you and your furry family found a solution which gives you pleasure and won't haunt your dreams. I use Jean R's method to get photos from my phone to the PC too. I know there is a better way, but that one works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sue, yes, the home equity loan on the four-season porch would really have haunted my night-time dreams. Thanks for saying that you, too, use Jean's method of photo retrieval. I'm going to try it. Peace.

      Delete
  7. I look forward to your getting pictures from phone to computer. Enjoy the enclosure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bea, I surely do hope that I can show all of you the photographs. And I am, indeed, enjoying the enclosure! Peace.

      Delete
  8. I am glad you are enjoying the screened in porch that is the most important thing, we need to be happy with our lives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jo-Anne, I so agree, and I find myself happy with mine because of a series of recent decisions I've made. I hope to blog about them in the near future. I hope you, too, are happy with your life. Peace.

      Delete
  9. Yay! I am so happy for you. I hope you are able to add pictures. I would love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Birdie, I'm sure going to try to figure out how to add pictures. Peace.

      Delete
  10. I am happy to read that you were able to have something you love at a price you could afford.

    We did the screened-in room also. I did not want windows ( which they tried to talk us into buying) because I just wanted an outside room without the bugs. The sounds of the night are awesome. We did not get to use it as much as I had planned because of the awful weather we had this summer. We used the fan at times and plan to use our propane heater in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Arleen, yes, it's been so hot here and really is all summer every summer that I never used my patio. But I think, like you, I'll be able to use the fan sometimes and a propane heater other times and so it's going to be quite wonderful. I surely understand the window decision you made. Peace.

      Delete
  11. What a smart compromise. Three seasons is so much better than none or 4 with the burden on how to pay for it. If only our leaders could figure out that process. Well done Dee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patti, perhaps I need to write "our leaders" and suggest the Morning Pages to them! Peace.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Dear Judy, thank you for being happy for me. Peace.

      Delete
  13. This is so good to know! I too wish for a screened in porch someday. I have never had one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nawm, I so hope that you get your screened-in porch when the time is right and the stars aligned! Peace.

      Delete
  14. I'm glad you found a way to have your porch because a porch is a wonderful thing to have! I always envy the big white wrap-around porches on the old southern homes here and can't fathom why no one is ever using them. We have a sunroom that is all glass with three sliding glass doors on each side. I was so happy to have it when we bought the house but we are hardly able to use it. Too hot and mosquito-y in the summer, too cold in the winter. I'd say there are six weeks a year it is actually useful. A great disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cynthia, yes, that would be a disappointment. I won't know until next July--when I will have had the porch for a full year--just how much use I will get from it. But I'm hoping that the cats and I will spend a lot of time there: I'll read and gaze; they will snooze and sniff. Peace.

      Delete
  15. Good news! What kind of a phone do you have? If you go to where the photos are stored and click on the one you want to send, there should be an option with an envelope and an arrow. Click on it and send your photo to your email. When it gets to your computer, drag it to your desk top and insert it into your post. You could also Google how to do it. I want to see your porch....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lori, thank you for the instructions. I'll try them and see if I can post a photo or two this coming Sunday! Peace.

      Delete
  16. Good for you, Dee - a porch you have been wanting and wanting and wanting. I see you have an updated post, which has to do with your photos/phone and that several of your readers have provided suggestions and such, so, I won't, but, will just encourage you forward. I never thought I would use my phone as much as I do for photos, but, I love it and, after a bit of instructions and coaxing, I can pretty much do what I want with the photos. Peace, my friend.

    ReplyDelete