Sunday, March 25, 2018

The March + PTSD and Ellie + The Convent Memoir

Just a brief posting today because I’m a little under the weather. Three things:

Yesterday my niece and I went to Lee’s Summit, Missouri, for the March for Our Lives. The group couldn’t get a permit to march, so we stood in front of City Hall and lent our energy to the speakers, who inspired me with their youthful fervor.

Lee’s Summit is a relatively small town, but there must have been about 200-250 of us there, equally divided between the young and the old. All of us were clapping for the articulate and passionate words of the high-school students who spoke.

I’ve marched to protest the Vietnam War in Minneapolis in May 1970, to raise awareness of animal rights in Washington, D.C., in 1990, and now to chivvy our Congress and President to cease being indentured to the NRA and to pass gun laws that outlaw assault rifles, raise the age to buy guns, and do stringent background checks.

The wind chill yesterday was in the low thirties, and I wasn’t dressed for the rally, but I felt as if I were in my mid-thirties again, marching with the college students to protest the war. Only this time, it’s the high-school students leading us!



The tiff between Ellie and Maggie that I shared last Sunday has ceased. Maggie thought Ellie had bumped into her when in reality it was I in my stocking feet. Maggie cornered Ellie and threatened her with claw and teeth. Ellie, who’d been declawed before we met, mostly just hissed when attacked.

I kept Ellie in my office with the door closed for three days—just the computer on the desk, the kitty litter box, her cat bedding, her food and water, and the chair I’m sitting in now. After three days, Maggie had gone on to other concerns, and Ellie wanted out. So now they’ve entered a truce, except that Ellie continues to pee in her bedding, which I’m washing every day. I hope that she gets over her PTSD and that Maggie ceases her unrelenting stare campaign that so traumatizes Ellie.

 One of the bloggers whom I follow, Melissa Ann Goodwin, posted a review of the convent memoir, Prayer Wasn’t Enough, on her blog. If you’d like to read it, click here. Her blog is about her yoga classes, and it’s well worth reading.

Melissa knows about publishing because she’s had two books published: The Christmas Village and Return to Canterbury. I enjoyed them both when they were first published and gave them as gifts to young friends of mine. Click here to go to her author website where you can read about and listen to her excerpts from her books.

Now back to bed with some Earl Grey Tea and a cat for warmth. This general malaise is, I think, an aftermath of yesterday’s chill.


But I don’t want to end this post without thanking all of you who have e-mailed me about the memoir and purchased it and in general given me the support that has become one of the great gifts of blogging.


Thank you. Peace to you, pressed down and overflowing.

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Dear Jo-Anne, and I tell you that those young speakers were amazing also. The march ranged from little children to older people like me--with a walker. Everyone was excited about the possibility of change. Peace.

      Delete
  2. Thank you standing up for sanity, and decency. Again. And I hope that the chill's effects leave you quickly.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sue, I've mostly slept the day away. I need probably to eat something, but nothing appeals. I am so grateful that I have the money to pay for heating the house. I am a fortunate person. Peace.

      Delete
  3. Those marchers, young and old, make me proud and give me hope that we are not a lost nation.
    Haven't started your book yet but will very soon. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patti, I felt hope yesterday also. Great hope.

      I hope the book speaks to you of youth! Peace.

      Delete
  4. Good on you, Dee! It was in the 30s and you felt as if you were in your 30s. :D

    The highschoolers are leading the way. Good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bea, Yes! the 30s were on my mind I think! They are leading the way and they give me hope as I said to Arkansas Patti who commented above. Peace.

      Delete
  5. How are you feeling, Dee?

    I hope you are doing better today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sandi, thanks for stopping by. I think I just had a slight chill and an upset stomach. Today, I'm feeling a little weary, but really okay. thank you for asking. Peace.

      Delete
  6. I have purchased the book and have it on my KIndle. As soon as I finish my current book, it's next! And I do hope you will be feeling better soon. I marched here in my own town and we had at least 3,000 people! It was inspiring. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear DJan, 3,000 in Bellingham. How wonderful. Until the young people rose up and voiced their concerns--their fears--I'd never really realized what they lived with when at school. Nor the young people who are voicing their fears because of drive-by shootings and violence in their communities. I'm just so grateful that they have taken on this task. But what a large one it is for them. And yes, they are truly inspiring. Peace.

      Delete
  7. I have downloaded your book but am waiting for a time when I can give it my full attention. I am helping out my daughter and her family and am having a houseload of family coming over this weekend for Easter. I am happy to have all this activity going on in my life right now, but I will be relieved to just sit down with a good book and enjoy.

    I also went to the rally at our county seat. There were over a thousand people there. It was not a march, but rather a rally and the student speakers were all eloquent and inspiring. It was heartbreaking, though, , to listrn to children begging for their lives.

    Take care, Dee, and I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Arleen, our gathering was a "rally" also, but I couldn't think of that word when I wrote the post. Yes. It is heartbreaking--the fear with which we have burdened them because we adults have not done our duty at the ballot box to get rid of those who do not have the courage to do the right thing regarding these guns.

      Have a lovely Easter. Peace.

      Delete
  8. Risking your health for a worthy cause indeed. Our small town 7th and 8th graders went outside for 17 minutes and read 17 names. The senior high school no response...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Troutbirder, how inspiring that the junior high students did something for this cause. I wonder why the high school didn't. I know that many students do not agree with what the March for Our Lives is advocating, but really no one is saying get rid of all guns. Peace.

      Delete
  9. My husband and I marched here in town too. This is a conservative region of Florida, and I've never seen more than a handful of protestors before. On Saturday, there were several hundred. AND, they were mostly older, carrying signs saying they were marching for their grandkids. These amazing kids are leading the way, and I am happy to follow and support them. Their speeches were firey and inspiring - I am in awe of them. I've had a good number of views for my review of your book over at the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Melissa, I am so grateful that I walked. I did it for all my great-grand nieces and nephews and for the four children out in Idaho who call me Grandma Dee.

      These young people are amazing and they are leading us, I trust, into a promised land where they shall not fear for their lives.

      Thank you once again for your review. I am grateful for everything everyone is doing to get word out about the convent memoir. Peace.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you had a chance to join a march. There wasn't one anywhere near us or we would have, too. I never dreamed that at my age I would be returning to an activity of my youth -- protesting!
    I am enjoying your book. We have had company for a few days and I was eager to get back to it today.
    I hope you are feeling well again. Take care, Dee.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Cynthia, I'm so pleased that you are enjoying the memoir. Thank you for asking how I'm feeling. I think I just had a mild "bug" that affected my stomach for about three days. All better now! Peace.

    ReplyDelete