Sunday, December 17, 2017

Gratitude—#3

This is my third posting on the gratitude I am feeling during the season of Advent. This gratitude gives me hope that all shall be well in my life because all has been well. I can look back over a long life and see that all has worked out to good. For that I am deeply grateful . . . and hopeful for the future.

Today I want to list the many inventions and services that have helped me adjust to my compromised vision and health. I find myself grateful to inventors and those with creative minds who come up with ideas that make my life easier. So let’s begin.
  •  Magnifying glasses that I can put over a recipe page so as to see the difference between a ½, a 1/3, and a ¼ teaspoon of baking powder, salt, soda, or vanilla.
  •  A city that offers an exceptionally inexpensive van service that comes right to my home so as to take me to doctor appointments, restaurants, or stores. This service lessens much of the stress of no longer being able to drive. The loss of independence demands a real adjustment of attitude and this service makes me feel less dependent.
  • My iPad that lets me adjust type size and spacing for e-book reading.
  • A fine library system that offers a plethora of e-books. It also offers “Books-by-Mail” for those of us who cannot easily get to the local library.  Through this service I can order books, CDs, and DVDs from the library. Then what I’ve ordered is delivered through the mail, coming in my post box in a green canvas bag. I send everything back in the same bag simply by putting it in my mail box. There is no charge for this service, and I pay nothing for return postage. This is truly a meaningful way to use our tax dollars.
  •  Glaucoma drops that help keep my pressure in the safe zone.
  • Eye lubricants that keep my eyes from getting dry. (Dry eyes can damage the optic nerves; my left nerve is already severely damaged, thus blurring my vision.)
  • My house has no steps and thus my astigmatism doesn’t “trip” me up. (Glasses no longer help my astigmatism.)
  • Canes, walkers, and wheelchairs. I do not use the first two items yet, but being able, when I fly any airline, to use a wheelchair—provided by the airport—alleviates the stress of travel.
  •  Chairs. This may seem like a strange invention for this list, but I have severe arthritis in my lower back so standing for any length of time—say 10 minutes—can cause deep aching. Wrapping my Christmas gifts this year while sitting, instead of my usual standing, made such a difference to how I felt by the time the last gift was under the tree.
  • A four-foot-permanent/artificial tree that sits on my card table so I can easily decorate it. No bending, no stretching up to the seven-foot tree top of the past.
  • A sturdy, wide, two-step Rubbermaid® stepstool that enables me—even with the occasional light-headedness of Meniere’s Disease—to get kitchen items down from the top of the pantry shelf.
  • The handrails in my shower and bathroom that help with both the problems that come with compromised vision and Meniere’s vertigo.
  • Pillows that support my lumbar area when I sit.
  • The stove timer that I set nine times a day for the drops I take for my eyes.
  • The movable timer that I set for ½ hour whenever I’m sitting at the computer. The neurosurgeon doesn’t want me to sit for longer than that without getting up and walking around

Well, this list is not exhaustive, but it does represent many of the wonderful helps I have that make my life much less stressful. I can count on these inventions. They please me mightily.

Next Sunday, Christmas Eve Day, I hope to express my gratitude for all the many family members and friends and strangers who help me navigate these years of my life. They are true blessings.

I wonder what inventions or services or creative ideas you are grateful for. I’d love to read your lists!

Peace in this season of hope and expectation.




22 comments:

  1. A wonderful list, Dee. I have discovered a nonstop flight (both directions) when I visit my sister in February, so I won't need to use the wheelchair. Yet. And I give thanks daily for the gift of the internet and the ability to stay in touch with friends and family. I will also send back to you my wishes for peace and love to surround you now and throughout the coming year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear DJan, I certainly am grateful for the internet that enables me, as you say, to keep in touch with friends and family. I've thought of several other things since I posted today, so next Sunday I'm going to add a few things! Thank you for your wishes for now and the coming year. You are a good friend whom the internet has brought me! Peace.

      Delete
  2. So many things fill me with gratitude and joy. Not least the beautiful world we live in, which provides heart balm on my darkest days.
    And the connectivity (is that a word?) the internet has given me to people, like yourself, I may never meet but cherish just the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear EC, yes the world of Nature. When I walk each day and the sun touches my face and the air fills my lungs, I find, as you have said, "heart balm." Internet, too. Oh, so many things that I didn't think of as I sat here at the computer this morning. The mind really can't comprehend the wonder of our lives. Peace to you now and always and ever.

      Delete
  3. Certainly a comprehensive list. I won't mention how many are in my repertoire, but I will certainly ass my gratitude to yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne, I've discovered just from the first two postings that the list isn't as comprehensive as I'd like it to be. So next week, I'll briefly add a few more items before expressing gratitude for those who enlighten my life. Peace.

      Delete
  4. Although we've never met face to face, I am extremely grateful that you are my very dear friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Fishducky, Thank you. I feel the same way about you. You have been so generous to me with regard to my writing and the need I have to be critiqued and copyedited. I trust your judgment and value your sense of humor. You lighten my life. Peace.

      Delete
  5. That is such a positive way of looking at life, Dee. Counting our blessings for what makes living easier instead of complaining is a message we all need. I hope your Christmas holidays are lovely and that you are surrounded by love. You are an inspiration to many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Arleen, remember that song about going to sleep "and counting my blessings instead of sheep"??? It's a mantra to hold for life I think. You are one of those blessings in my life. You've always reached out to stay in touch and I so appreciate that. Thank you for your kind words and for being, yourself, so positive and so "okay." Peace now and ever.

      Delete
  6. Dee I am grateful each night as I put my head on my pillow that another eventful day was granted, I am equalliy grateful each morning to sounds of life that surround me.
    I wear magnification lenses over my specs to type and read on my tablet. I use a nutcracker to open spring water bottle tops. I use Buddy’s arm when I am unsure of the ground around my feet. I carry a tiny but powerful flashlight as I am blind when the light is too dim. i make sure I have sunglasses as the sunlight outdoors hurts my eyes.
    These are a few of mu little tweaks for coping.
    I am glad that we met over the net.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Heidrun, what a lovely, lovely list you've shared in your comment. Your attitude inspires me. It's wonderful how our minds and hearts can find ways to cope with difficulties and how our loved ones--like Buddy--care for us, just as we do all we can to care for them. All this makes us One. Peace today to you.

      Delete
  7. You have listed some really impressive aids. That library service sounds amazing and I wish ours did that. One thing I use and you might find handy is a "grabber". It is about a 3 foot long gadget that allows runts like me to reach things on a high shelf without standing on something. I got mine at Walmart. Also good for picking things up off the floor without bending over. That and the Internet are my biggest helpers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patti, I do have one of those "grabbers." I got it when I had the back surgery last March and couldn't bend over for several weeks. But I've completely forgotten about it, and consequently, I find myself really grateful to you for telling me that it can be used to reach things high up as well as low down. I used it only for "low down." Thanks so much for opening my mind up to new possibilities.

      The Internet, which both you and DJan, mentioned, truly helps me also. Just keeping me in touch via blogging and e-mail is a wonder.

      Except for what's happening in Washington, D. C. right now, I find myself so glad to be alive at this time. So glad to enjoy the wonders of life. Aren't we fortunate! Peace.

      Delete
  8. Hi Dee, So glad to catch up with you again. I love your list of gratitudes... We enjoy many of the same things... When we bought the 'high' toilets a year or two ago, I never realized how much I'd appreciate them as I get older.... Both of us have some eye problems --so the large print is WONDERFUL.... We also have a reminder program on our computer/phone which dings when we need to do something (like taking our pills)... Our FITBITS send a message every hour reminding us to get up and move around. The goal is 250 steps per hour during the daytime. ETC ETC ETC......

    Getting old is for the BIRDS ---but thank goodness, we all do have a lot to be grateful for.....

    Merry Christmas.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Betsy, thanks so much for sharing your lift of new things you are enjoying as you age. I so like your idea of 250 steps per hour. I'm going to try--beginning this coming week, to get up to 10,000 step a day by walking within the house and outside on the city blocks. It's so good for us. Have a lovely Christmas in your beautifully decorated home. Peace.

      Delete
  9. Hello, Dee! I'm very thankful for your comment on my blog - which I've taken a while to reply to - and now reading your posts on the things you're thankful for makes me smile. Thank you for taking time to write about the blessings in your life. My list of blessings begins and ends with dear, dear people, who put up with me (and even some who don't). May you deeply enjoy this Christmas and the New Year ahead. ~Deanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Deanna, on the last Sunday of this year, I'm going to post about the "dear, dear people" who have raised me, taught me, and befriended me. They are the ones who have filled my life with joy. May your new year be one of great peace and possibility.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful outlook for life my friend!

    Our Creator has blessed us with Countless blessings and in return all he wants us to realise them and be grateful rather than complaining about the half empty side of the glass .

    You are so BLESSED WITH Right way of thinking my friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Baili, my mom helped me develop the outlook on life that has seen me through both hard and wonderful periods. Although she died in 1968, she continues to be a blessed presence in my life. Peace.

      Delete
  11. A comprehensive list for sure, Dee, though I am sure there are other items you employ with gratitude as well.
    We recently discovered a little feature on our phones that acts as a magnifier. It helps both Tom and me when trying to read something in a dimly lit location. I am also grateful for the camera function in my phone as it has helped me like Hansel and Gretel's trail of crumbs. I use it in parking garages, Dee, taking photos of where I park, what level, what door. This helped me immensely at a particular parking garage of the hospital my sister was frequently in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Penny, thanks so much for telling me about these helps your and Tom now use. I'll examine my phone and see if I have a magnifier. I just got it for Christmas and so I don't even know yet how to take photographs! Peace.

      Delete