Sunday, December 3, 2017

Belated Gratitude—#1


The past two Sundays found me busy preparing for and then traveling to visit friends for an extended Thanksgiving with them. Consequently, I haven’t posted my gratitude for the gifts of my life this year. So today and perhaps for the next couple of Sundays, I want to do that.

I’ll start with some information that will lead to the gratitude that is welling up in my heart and mind and spirit during these last weeks of 2017. The next few paragraphs may sound like “downers.” However, they don’t represent negativity. They are simply background for my gratitude. Let’s begin.

Because of Meniere’s Disease, I do not hear words in my left ear. Hearing aids do not help with loss experienced by Meniere’s, so I have compromised hearing.

Because of glaucoma, I also have compromised vision. My field-of-vision narrowed so much by October 2015, that I gave up driving. It continues to narrow and because of that as well as continued damage to my optic nerves, I seem to see through a sheer curtain all the time.

To counter the ongoing problem of glaucoma, I put drops in my eyes nine times a day, so the stove timer rules my life. The schedule of those drops determines when I will leave the house and how long I will be gone. When the timer interrupts phone calls, I must conclude conversations. It is essential that I put these drops in my eyes if I want to continue to see well enough to live alone here in my home.

Meniere’s and the compromised vision have affected my balance. That in turn—as well as arthritis in my lumbar area—affects my walking. I used to walk three-to-four miles a day. Now I walk around the block.

Okay, that’s a list of physical disabilities that are part of my daily life. Now let’s get to the gratitude. As those of you who have followed this blog for some time know, my mother often said to me when I was young, “Dolores, you find what you look for. If you look for good you will find it. And if you look for bad, you will surely find that too.”


Hellen O'Mara Ready, 1931. Twenty-one years old.
When I write those words I see her blue eyes as they hold me fast. I see the kindness of her mouth as she forms the words. She’s been dead now since May 1968, so nearly fifty years, but her voice still speaks to me with a wisdom that continues to shepherd me through life.

Thus we come to gratitude. It begins with my mother who taught me through word and example to look for the good in all experiences. To find the good and embrace it. To stop looking at the closed door of loss and to turn and look out the open window at what is being offered. At what is still possible. And so I do. And so I will because there is still so much to appreciate in my life.

Matthew, the racing tiger cat. Eight years old.

I can still hear the purr of the cats with whom I live. Ellie who’s brindle. Maggie, the calico. And Matthew the exuberant tiger who bounds through the house like an Indie 500 racer. He keeps me alert to the moment.

I can still hear them, see them, let them rest against my body as they nap away the day. For them, I am grateful. They enliven my life and my home. They make me feel needed and necessary. Because of them, I must get out of bed each morning. They demand to be fed and for that I am grateful.

Next Sunday, I am going to continue this gratitude list by sharing my Thanksgiving flying travails with you. They left me feeling great gratitude.

Peace to you, pressed down and overflowing in this season of expectation.
        



20 comments:

  1. I am glad you listed your current trials and how you are coping with them. I think gratitude is the very best thing for gaining perspective in my life, and I appreciate so much your decision to share your gratitude. I look forward to hearing about your travel experience. Blessings, dear Dee. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear DJan, like you, I've come to the conclusion that gratitude keeps everything in perspective. I am grateful for that grace, that understanding that doors close but windows open. We are both fortunate as we age that we have this philosophy. Life then is so much easier, I think. Peace.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Dear EC, I hope they would agree with you! Peace.

      Delete
  3. I have SO much to be grateful for (including having you as my friend)!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Fishducky, and I am SO grateful for your friendship and for all those who enrich my life with humor and good-will--and you are at the top of the list for that!!! Peace.

      Delete
  4. Gratitude is a gift which keeps giving isn't it?
    A lovely post - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear EC, it does keep giving. What is that line from-?--something that keeps on giving. It so familiar but I can't think where I first heard it.

      By the way and by the by, I am so grateful for your friendship. Peace.

      Delete
  5. Ah, an Irish mother. The folk we found more joy than the rest of the world combined. It's difficult to relinquish living, and a joy to do it with a cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne, yes, according to "Ancestry," I am 67% Irish and each day I can see that part of me when I talk to friends and weave stories. Letting go is indeed hard, but finding things for which to be grateful, things/people I may have not been aware of before, is a blessing each day. Peace.

      Delete
  6. I am so impressed how you don't let your current ailments rule your life but are still able to find the blessings. You cannot be beaten with that attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patti, the thing is that the opposite of what I do would be bitterness and what good is that??????? Seems to me that you are exactly the same as I. You look for the good and the humorous and the positive . . . and you find it! I see that in all your blog postings. Peace.

      Delete
  7. Dee, I am grateful to have met you in this blogging community. No matter what you've gone through or are currently dealing with, your positive attitude towards life is very inspiring. Thank you. I hope you fell better day by day and your little furry companions keep you warm :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Baiba, I, too, am grateful that we've met as bloggers. Your youth and the journey you are taking inspire me to keep going on my journey and never to give up my dreams and heart wishes. Thank you. Peace.

      Delete
  8. Thanks Dee. We surely had very similar Moms. So I too have an number lists of nonfatal maladies and pills. Have given up all my outdoor hobbies but continued a life long addiction to reading which well satisfies me now. My new role as a caretaker for my spouses Alzheimers keeps me busy and out of trouble. So we stick to our motto, "we're a team and we keep on truckin"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Troutbirder, I'm so glad that you, too, were fortunate to have a mother who inspired us to look for good. I'm hoping that you are able to do that as you care for and cherish your spouse. Each night, no matter what, since 1996, I written five things in my gratitude journal for which I am grateful, feel blessed, feel fortunate. Sometimes when the days are dark with illness or concerns, it's hard to find something to write there, but always, as I wander through the past day in my mind and heart, I find something for which to be grateful. I hope you, too, are able to do that for I know that your days must be--at times--very difficult. Peace.

      Delete
  9. Yes I know cats mean a great deal to you. It had its life changing moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Heidrun, the cats are truly my family and so I am deeply grateful for their unconditional love. Peace.

      Delete
  10. Dearest Dee, I am finally taking some time to slowly catch up with all of your posts that I have missed these past months. So, I will say here as I begin reading your posts over time that gratitude fills me right now as I see and know I will appreciate all your words. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Penny, gratitude is such a lovely gift to ourselves. It fills us up with a contentment that oozes into our pores and brings with it a great peace. Peace to you today and always.

      Delete