Monday, February 21, 2022

From Poets to Memoirs to Gratitude

 Today, it’s a hop, skip, and jump from poetry, to my “granddaughter,” to my gratitude for all of you. So, let’s begin:


#1

On February 6, I posted about Sister Mary Lee who introduced the fifth-grade class, of which I was a part back in 1946-47, to poetry. She began with “story” poems, which I detailed in that posting.

 

Soon after we’d memorized the first of these story poems, she introduced us to a much shorter poem that lent itself to interpretation: “Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening” by Robert Frost. After she’d handed each of us a copy of the poem, she invited us read it in unison. 


 

Then she asked us what story the poem told. As we shared the story that had come to our minds, it became clear that the poem brought different stories to individual minds. That was a revelation to all of us.

 

Then she asked what the final stanza meant to each of us. There, too, we encountered differences among us. Another revelation.

 

For the rest of the year, she introduced us to poems that lent themselves to individual interpretation—like “I’m Nobody. Who Are You? By Emily Dickinson. 



Sister Mary Lee was such a fine teacher; her enthusiasm and nonjudgmental acceptance of our responses to poems touches my life still. She has truly gifted my life.

 

#2

Elisa, the young woman who has become like a granddaughter to me and whom I introduced to you in posting back in November 2020, is doing well with her Stage 4 Melanoma cancer. She has been writing about it and now has a contract for a memoir that will be released in June of this year.

 

#3

Starting now, I’m making a commitment to myself to post every other Monday, at least for 2022. I’m announcing this because letting you all know that creates an imperative for me. And believe me, with my tendency toward “when-in-doubt-about-what-to-do—Read! Nap! Watch BritBox!” I need something to goad me on to getting in touch with all of you. Reaching out, as it were. 

 

Because of not driving, I’ve truly become a recluse since October 2016. However, I’m extraordinarily fortunate in that I have friends living here and there—Minnesota, California, Boston, etc.—and I talk to two or three of them each week. So, I do stay connected with the human race via a voice on the phone. 

 

These long-time friends share their happiness and sorrows, their woes and triumphs, their heartwishes and health with me; they keep me from the self-absorption that can come from living alone. Also, from the self-pity that can ferment in seclusion. In their graciousness, they are the mainland of my solitude.

 

As are all of you with whom I want to stay connected. Through the years of blogging, you have become treasured and cherished virtual friends. I am so grateful for all of you. When I visit your blogs, in which you share the ups and downs and realizations of your lives, I step out of my own remoteness and enter your daily routines, your philosophical realizations, the books you’re reading, the friends you cherish, the incidents that bring joy or confusion to you lives. 

 

That is so wonderful, whether you be in the states of Washington, California, the Carolinas, New York or in Australia, New Zealand, Pakistan or anywhere else in this country or around the globe. All of you bring me the sustenance of life. Thank you. 

 

Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and that we meet in the Holy Oneness of All Creation. That is, in the great river of grace that flows toward the depth-less ocean of Love.

 

Peace. 

16 comments:

  1. What a beautiful heartfelt post, Dee. I too find my virtual friends to be a great gift to my everyday life, and I cherish these friendships as much as I do those with my "skin" friends. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear DJan, thank you for the kind words and thank you also for sharing with me the expression "skin" friends. I love it! Peace.
      PS: I read your latest postings on your two blogs today, but something called "Chrome" wouldn't let me publish them. I'll need to ask my niece to come and set things right on the computer.

      Delete
  2. I love how you embrace your blog followers, that includes me, as friends. I feel the same way. I became a widow in 2016 and enjoy my blog buddies and some of you became my pen pals. I agree, read or watch Britbox, love it. I planted flower seeds today, gardening is another activity I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Terra, some times I find myself bemoaning the intricacies of modern technology and then I remember how glad I am to have "virtual" friends like you and all the friends whose blogs take me around the world. And for that I feel great gratitude.

      I used to do a lot of gardening--both flower and vegetable--when I lived in Minnesota. However, the knees don't permit that anymore. I'm so glad that you can do that and that you enjoy it. We all need something--a passion--that brings us joy. Peace.

      Delete
  3. Hi Dee! Always glad to see a post from you. And yes, virtual friends through blogging or texting, etc. are a 'gift'... one gives oneself. At least that's the way I see it. This way no matter how many miles in between, we can still share parts of our lives... and to be honest, I think life needs sharing.
    In some ways, blogging is similar to 'pen pals' as Terra stated and although I miss writing letters, etc. on occasion I do both (blog and write letters).
    So happy to hear that Elisa is doing well. I keep her (and you) in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rian, like you, I seldom write letters. Mostly I phone “skin” (a term I learned from DJan) friends. But I so appreciate the sharing of lives and thoughts through blogs. You know, I truly believe that humans are relational beings. We do not become whole and mature without others. So many people have raised me, taught me, and befriended me throughout my 85 years that a wellspring of gratitude now constantly bubbles within me. You, too, I bet! Peace.

      Delete
  4. I am so happy that Elisa is doing so well in her cancer battle. Congrats to her on the pending book. I am sure having you in her life helped her to stick with it and get her memoir published.
    Let us know when it hits the market.
    Like you I treasure my virtual friends. I have learned so much from all of you. When you think of it, none of our paths would have ever crossed without the Internet. Amen to blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patti, I will post something when her book is published. I'm so happy for her. And like you, I "treasure my virtual friends." They--you--have kept me grounded as I've dealt with health issues, my memoir challenges, and my living alone. As you say, "Amen to blogging." And I'd add !!!!! to that.

      Patti, I tried to read your blog yesterday and wrote a comment about the prank blog but something called "chrome" is keeping my comments from posting. I'll need to wait until my niece Linda can come and figure this out for me. Thank heavens for Linda! Peace

      Delete
  5. What solace we can be, each to the other. I know the hope we pass around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne, thank you for the word "solace." That is so exactly right. As a poet I know would say, "It is the 'telling' word." And like you, I am so aware that fellow bloggers are like yeast in the dough of my life--hope rises up from their blog postings and their comments when I post. Life is good. Peace.

      Delete
  6. I'm look forward to you posting more often! You were indeed fortunate to have a teacher who could instill a love of poetry in your soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jean, I'm bound and determined to post more often. But I also know that, as some wise wit said, "(Wo)man proposes; but God disposes!" Which is to say, we have little control over the future.

      Still, my intentions are to post every other Monday and "by gum!" I'll endeavor to do so. Take care. Be gracious to yourself. Peace.

      Delete
  7. I love this post, it's a poem to friendship, thank you. I hope I will see you here every other Monday. Sending love to you and the kitties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Inger, when I read your comment, I went back and reread the posting and discovered the you had "nailed" it. It is about friendship--from Sister Mary Lee all those years ago to Elisa to all of you whose blogs I follow and who follow mine. How fortunate I am and have always been. Thank you for your friendship. Peace.

      Delete
  8. this is amazing that poems that we had learned in our childhood and teenage are as fresh in our mind as it was yesterday ,specially popular poems that we would read aloud together everyday ,thank you for such lovely sharing dear Dee .

    as i mentioned many time let me say i once again that i see you as a precious shining star of love and sweetness in my blogging word and you are never away from my mind when i am busy in other routine chores ,you are blessing my friend ,your power to say things as beautifully is astonishingly touching and inspirational and each word you write reflects your love for oneness and all and your insightfulness for the understanding of life .i feel blessed to have you as friend and i wish you health peace and joy each moment my friend !
    please never ever come into the grip of any negative emotion because you have made your existence successful and this is such a pride to feel serene and happy no matter what .
    you are in my thoughts and prays always ! hugs and blessings !
    thank you so much for letting us know about your granddaughter that she is fine enough to write memoir by the grace of lord!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Baili, thank you so very much for your kind words about my writing. I appreciate your enthusiasm because your sharing in your blog is so honest. Always you make me stop to consider a new idea or book or way of looking at my life. Your thoughts travel “far and wee,” as the English poet T. S. Eliot once wrote. Peace.

    ReplyDelete