Sunday, August 16, 2020

An Intro to a Series

The political and pandemic period in which we now live prompts this posting, which introduces a series of postings I plan to do on audio books by well-known historians.

First, some personal background: my parents encouraged me—from about the age of 10—to read two newspapers a day. Around the supper table, we discussed what I’d read. They wanted me to understand “history being made.”  In college, I mostly studied ancient and European history.

However, in August 1969, after leaving the convent, I began my studies for a Master’s Degree in American Studies at the University of Minnesota. Two years later—after taking as many classes as I could over the course of twenty-four months—I obtained the degree with an emphasis on Black and Southern history.

For American studies, I took classes in several departments that offered courses about the United States. Among these were sociology, art/architectural, linguistics, literature, political science, and history.

After completing my master’s in 1971, I read two weekly news magazines (Newsweek and Time) and the daily Minneapolis and St. Paul newspapers. From 1976 on, I nightly watched The MacNeil/Lehrer Report, which later became known as the PBS Newshour.  

What I didn’t do after leaving the U of M was to continue reading books on American history written by distinguished historians. That was a mistake I’m correcting now.

For the past four years, whenever I hear the president speak, I think of the behavior of Joseph McCarthy, the Republican senator from Wisconsin who conducted televised hearings during my last two years in high school. I watched those hearings whenever I could and listened to my grandmother Ready rhapsodize about McCarthy. 

In the spring of my senior year (1954), while watching the Army-McCarthy hearings, I heard the legal representative for the army say to McCarthy, “Have you no sense of decency?” He asked this after repeatedly witnessing McCarthy browbeat and belittle others with derogatory names and blatant innuendo.

As McCarthy did in the 1950s, many Americans—those of the “Contract with America” in the 1990s, the Tea Party Movement that began in 2009, and those who espouse the QAnon far-right conspiracy theory of the past two years—keep referring today to their “rights” and to the Constitution to explain their words and actions. Given that and the partisanship so evident in our country, I decided on my 84th birthday in April to study American history. I’m going for another master’s degree!

No, I’m not going back to school. I’ll take no tests. Write no papers. But I will, for as many years as I have left to live this life, read the books of reputable historians who can explain the threads that tie together one century/one event to another in the United States. Ultimately, I’ll award myself a home-made diploma from the University of Historians! 

I’ve started my degree work (sounds impressive doesn’t it!?!?!) with the late 18th century. Already I’m astounded at how woefully ignorant I’ve been of this period of American history.

In future postings, I’ll share with you books I’m reading about the following:

·      The 1st American Revolution (the war for independence—1775-1783)—books by Nathanial Philbrick, Rick Atkinson, and David McCullough.

·      The 2nd American Revolution (securing the peace, establishing government, writing the Constitution—1783-1789)—three books by Joseph J. Ellis.

·      Biographies of those who led the struggle in both revolutions—books by McCullough, Ron Chernow, Jon Meacham, and Ellis. 

I hope to live long enough to study the entire history of our young country. And then . . .  if my health permits, I want to study the history of the Middle East, Australia, and New Zealand as well as several Asian, African, and South American countries. I want to learn and appreciate.

So much to listen to and absorb. So many reasons to be grateful. Peace. 


Postscript:
You will note that the historians I’ve mentioned are all men. White men. As I learn enough to be appreciative, I will read histories written by and about women, histories written by and about Native Americans, and histories written by and about people of color.

I want to, I must read about colonial women and their work for the cause; about African Americans and the significant role they played in the Continental Army that George Washington commanded; and about how the founders of the United States systematically put in place plans that would push Native Americans westward and ultimately eradicate them. 

If any of you have books to suggest to help with my education, please do so. The only caveat is that the book must be available in audio because I’m no longer able to easily read paper or e-books. Once I move beyond the United States, I’ll need suggestions for other countries and their histories. So please help me out with this. Help me be inclusive. Expand my mind and my heart. Show me how to embrace Oneness.

That is . . . Help me learn the lessons of history and the struggles of all human beings as they try to find Oneness.


Peace.

20 comments:

  1. That sounds like an awe inspiring and very worth while project Dee.
    I am looking forward to reading more about your studies and your discoveries.
    When I was a child history was almost exclusively taught as battles/rulers and dates. I loathed it.
    Coming to a better understanding (much later) of its importance I too am starting what I suspect will be a life long exploration. And focusing when I can on the neglected side - the woman and the poor who most definitely have and do contribute to history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear EC, Cynthia commented below about a book for me to read that provides info on women and the revolutionary times and I've discovered one by another historian on African-Americans of the time. i know many fought as part of the Continental Army but there are so many other things to learn. So, like you, I want to see what everyone has contributed to this country I call home. Good luck with your exploration! Peace.

      Delete
  2. What an impressive educational resume you have and ditto on having an ambitious educational challenge you've laid out for yourself.

    If you're looking for a historical woman to read about I'd suggest Mercy Otis Warren. She wrote the very first history of the American Revolution and also ghost wrote many of the pamphlets that were handed out on the streets to get people to support the cause. She was friends with and corresponded with Martha and George Washington and Abigail and John Adams and personally knew all the signers of the Declaration of Independence. Oops, I wrote all that for nothing because I forgot you need audio books. Still, you might find her in a collection of famous women in history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jean, perhaps the book Cynthia suggested about the "founding mothers" will tell me about Mercy Otis Warren. I hope so. Peace.

      Delete
  3. I hope you write all about it here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sandi, I'm not exactly sure how to proceed. Whether to do "book reviews" or simply to share what I'm learning. I'm so enjoying working toward this "master's degree"!!!!! Peace.

      Delete
  4. Dee, I love this as I'm doing the same, thanks for the recommendations, or for letting me know what you are reading. Must go and eat now, but will email you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Inger, I'm glad we're in this together. Please pass on to me any books you find enlightening and I'll do the same. Here's to a new adventure in learning! Peace.

      Delete
  5. Goodness you are ambitious but what a wonderful use of free time. Looking forward to your cliff notes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patti, I'm not sure about the cliff notes. The truth is I'm really not so sure how to proceed. I don't want to bore people with dry book reviews, but I do want to share the insights and the new information that is making me slightly less ignorant of our country's history. Peace.

      Delete
  6. I was fascinated by how little I knew of our history when I watched Hamilton. I look forward to hearing all about what you learn here, Dee. This is a wonderful project! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear DJan, I just finished a book by one of the premier historian of the Revolutionary times: Joseph J. Ellis. It's called "The Quartet" and is about the four men who worked so tirelessly to bring out a strong central government back in the years 1783-1789. One of the four was Hamilton--so right up your alley! The other three are Washington, John Jay, and James Madison. Peace.

      Delete
  7. History is amazing and I like books about history

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jo-Anne, like you, I'm a history buff. I truly never fully realized how little I know about the history of the United States. Much less, the history of the rest of the world. Peace.

      Delete
  8. Oh how I love History ---and I am SO Patriotic... Our young country has done a pretty good job through the years. We watched the documentary and John Adams' life on TV (EXCELLENT). I know we have made mistakes --but that's how we learn and grow....

    All that has happened and continues to happen in 2020 is SCARY for us. I'd love to visualize what history will be written about us as the years pass by...

    Thanks so much for sharing. It would be a good time for all of us to read those books and re-live some of our history.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Betsy, as I read, I kept learning of events and attitudes that so reflect our country today. And yet, there is also a fundamental difference that I'm learning about. It's fascinating. Peace.

      Delete
  9. Dee, I want to recommend a book to you, Founding Mothers - Women Who Raised Our Nation. Cokie Roberts lived in our community (died recently, a couple months after we last saw her) and was a generous speaker at many events we’ve attended. Her book is heartwarming and as personable as she is. And it’s available as an audible book! I know you will enjoy it.

    https://www.amazon.com/Founding-Mothers-Women-Raised-Nation/dp/006009026X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=34VQNJV5SR62D&dchild=1&keywords=cokie+roberts+books&qid=1598128233&sprefix=Cokie+roberts%2Caps%2C155&sr=8-1

    I look forward to your insights along the way to your latest “degree”!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cynthia, thanks so much for the suggestion. The library has the audio of the book and I hope to read it/listen to it in September after I listen "It Was All a Lie" and "Revolutionary Summer: 1776." I also found another book by Cokie Roberts--I so admired her--and have that on my reading list also. Peace.

      Delete
  10. well written introduction of good books.
    Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Tanza, thanks for stopping by. I'm so enjoying learning new things. Peace.

    ReplyDelete