Sunday, February 23, 2020

My 1989 Psychic Experience


In my posting of 2/9/20, I began to discuss my experience with psychics and said I’d first met one in 1990. However, on reflection, I realized that’s incorrect. The year was 1989. Also, in the past two weeks, I’ve remembered an earlier visit with a psychic—two decades before that 1990 session. 

While studying at a local university in 1970, I took a week off and visited friends in a nearby state. One of them urged me to put aside my hesitation about psychics. She’d booked an hour session for me with a man who’d previously told her something amazing about her family; she wanted to discover what my thoughts on his abilities were. 
      
This man, I’ll call him Ephraim, began by telling me about how he’d discovered his gift. After at least a half hour, if not more, Ephraim suddenly shook himself as if to awaken to my being there. Then he proceeded to tell me several things about myself that I thought he could have discovered from my speech patterns and regional dialect. So I wasn’t impressed.
      
Next, he talked about my family life. That did impress me for he knew many things about my extended family. (When I later asked Betty what she’d told him about me, she replied, “Just that I wanted to reserve an hour for a friend.”)
            
After telling me several things about my family—all of which were true—he told me that I had a spiritual guide whose name was “Arthur” and that he watched over me and was my great-uncle. Once again, I thought that he was off target. I’d never heard of an uncle called Arthur. The only Arthur I knew was the imaginary lion who’d accompanied me everywhere from the time I was in kindergarten and got me through the trauma of seeming abandonment. 
            
The next summer, while visiting my aunt, I asked her about her uncles. It was then I learned that indeed I did have a great-uncle Arthur, the brother of my grandpa Ready. I wondered then if Great-Uncle Arthur was the indwelling spirit who lived in Arthur, the lion who’d befriended me throughout my youth. 

So until 1989, that was the extent of my experience of the “occult”—the term Cynthia used in her comment for my last posting. Here’s a brief journey through that experience: After Dulcy died in early July 1989, I lost my usual exuberance and love of life. A friend—an ex-nun—urged me to see a psychic. “You might hear something,” she said, “that’ll really make you laugh and lighten up! Help you get your equilibrium back!”


The next day, I researched and found a well-recommended psychic. At our session, she wore a T-shirt and jeans; her only jewelry was a wedding ring. Immediately, I felt myself relax. She seemed like someone who could become a friend.

I’d told her only my name, nothing else about myself. Yet when we sat down and she dealt the cards, she looked at me with concern, then reached over to grasp my left hand. “You’ve experienced great sorrow recently. The death of someone. Not a human. A cat. She’s your soulmate. It’s like your heart is broken.”

I burst into tears.

When I was calm again, she told me that the cat and I were going to write a book about our relationship and it would touch the lives of many people.

A Cat’s Life: Dulcy’s Story happened.


Peace.

PS: In my next posting, I hope to sum up other experiences and then share with you what happened in March 2019 that left me bereft. 

21 comments:

  1. Oh Dee.
    My jury is still out where psychics are concerned and I lean towards the sceptical side of the equation.
    Either of those experiences you had would have rocked me to the core.
    I look forward (with trepidation) to learning about the encounter which left you bereft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear EC, I always have taken everything I heard with a grain of salt. However, these two instances really did convince me that some people do have extra senses. Maybe we all have them, but they are more developed in some. Peace.

      Delete
  2. That is amazing.

    I am not into psychics myself because I believe their powers are demonic (Acts 16:16). But this is truly amazing and accurate.

    I want to hear the rest of the story, Dee. This is why I think you should not be bereft, because what was said over you was not of God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sandi, the rest of the story is coming soon! Peace.

      Delete
  3. In the internet era I wouldn't be too impressed with someone being able to come up with the name of a deceased uncle but in 1970 coming up with your great uncle Arthur is amazing, especially since you had an imaginary lion companion named Arthur. What are the odds?

    I've never been to a psychic and I'd put myself down in the skeptical column but to have one inspire you to write your book about Dulcy is simply the best story I've ever heard from a writer on where their book inspiration came from. Whether the psychic was 'real' or not doesn't matter because at that point in time she helped you with your grief. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jean, in reading your comment and rereading the posting I wrote, I realize that I didn't give all the info needed. So this coming Sunday, I'm going to explain a little about the 1989 experience. Peace.

      Delete
  4. I have never seen a psychic but would love to do so, if seeing one helps someone then all is good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jo-Anne, both of these experiences did help me. I think that one needs to take from a reading what fits and disregard the rest! Peace.

      Delete
  5. I've had a couple of positive meetings with psychics. I'm looking forward to the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey used to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne, I remember Paul Harvey and listened to him on the radio back in the 1940s and, I think, the '50s. Peace.

      Delete
  6. Your story is very compelling to put one in the belief column. Can't say I believe or do not believe. I am open. I wrote about a pet psychic years ago that you might find interesting. https://thenewsixty.blogspot.com/search?q=baby+ruth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patti, I think that remaining open to things other than our own experience is the way to be. I'll look at the pet psychic posting you mentioned. I've had a pet psychic come and help with the cats twice: once in MN and once here in MO. The results were amazing. Thanks for reminding me of that. I think I'll write a posting on it after I finish these ones on my experiences! Peace.

      Delete
    2. Dear Patti, I read the posting on Baby Ruth. Like you, I so hope that she was rescued by a loving person. And like you, I find myself astounded at what "animal whisperers"/pet psychics can do. Thank you for including the URL in your comment. Peace.

      Delete
  7. I saw a few psychics many years ago (decades, actually), but they were quite positive and some of their advice was helpful. I had never considered they might not be accurate. I think everything in the universe is connected in ways we don't understand. Yet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear DJan, yes, I agree with you about the Universe and everything being connected. It's the Oneness I often refer to in my postings and writings. As Saul of Taurus said, "now we see through a glass darkly." Truly, we understand so little of the mystery of the Universe and our humanity. Peace.

      Delete
  8. I teared up thinking about all that you have experience in your life. Arthur the lion, the great-uncle, perhaps, helped you through. Then Dulcy, the love of your life. It breaks my heart to think of how short a time we get to spend with our pets.

    My comment has nothing to do with psychics, I have never been and I have no opinion. So I'm just commenting on what I know, pets, love, loss, and sorrow.

    I hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Inger, yes, we both know pets and loss and sorrow and a deep love for the animal companions that come into our lives and the humans whom we cherish. It's good to hear from you. I, too, hope that you are doing well. Peace.

      Delete
  9. I just love the story of Arthur the lion who comforted you, and your Uncle Arthur! I am completely open on the idea of people who have abilities we don’t understand and occurrences that don’t have logical explanations (logical according to our present understanding). Thanks for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cynthia, it's the being open that counts, isn't it. Because so much of life is mystery and our minds often cannot see beyond our own "logical explanations" and experiences. Peace.

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful story of how your book came to life!
    I love psychics and all things spiritual, but it's so hard to trust people these days, since so many of them are frauds...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Baiba, so good to hear from you. And yes, I learned a bit about trust last year. I hope to share that story in March. Take care. Peace.

      Delete