Sunday, November 12, 2017

The Memoir-Writing Journey



Last week, I laid out the health issues of this past year. As I did so, the word fallow came to mind: the seed of my life lies dormant within dark, rich loam. In the weeks ahead, I hope the seed will crack open and that from its broken shell a sprout will inch its way upward to the freshness of air, the warmth of sun, and the vast view of what is possible for me in the coming year.

If that doesn’t happen—if the ill-health continues—then what I know is that I need not only to live the day, but to embrace it. All truly is possibility if I look for the good within the fallowness. I’ve tried to do that this year as first the pain captured most of my attention and then the months of recuperation slowly—ever so slowly—helped me reclaim the activities I’d once done so easily. Now, I am hoping that the recent eye operation will help my sight stay stable.

As we all know, we can control only how we respond to the fluctuations of life. I know I’ve quoted my mom to you before, but I want to share her words again: “Dolores, you find what you look for. If you look for good, you will find it. And if you look for bad, you will surely find that too.”

Given that Mom said this to me repeatedly as I was growing up, I learned to look for good, Mostly I have found it. Some events, some years have been challenging, but one of the advantages of aging is that I can look back over a long life and see that all—ALL—has worked out to good.

Now, having wrapped up my health report, I want to spend a few moments sharing my writing life with you. I’ll be blogging about that off and on for the next few weeks, perhaps months, as I prepare to self-publish a memoir entitled Prayer Wasn’t Enough.

Two friends and my oldest niece are helping me with the intricacies of self-publication. One artistic friend designed the cover of the book. It pleases me mightily! Another friend is going to format—through Create Space, a subsidiary of Amazon—the print and the e-book that will be available on Amazon at some future date.

My niece is trying to help me figure out Facebook and Twitter. We’ve had difficulties because when I first began my Facebook account I didn’t know what I was doing. (Do I ever???) Consequently, I messed up the author page, the Timeline page, and another page as well.

It’s a real muddle as to what I presently have and how I can establish one of these pages as the place where readers can contact me. My niece has spent hours sitting in front of my computer trying to make sense of what I did and also talking to fellow computer whizzes about this. So far, we have no solutions.

I’ve begun Twitter and have to admit that I’m puzzled by how all these things connect. None of this makes much sense to me. Would it, if I were younger? Was my mind more eager to solve a challenge then? I’m not sure. I know only that I now dwell in social-medium-confusion-land.

Have any of you experienced difficulties in understanding how to use Facebook or Twitter? If so, please share your confusion with me OR how you met the challenge of the Facebook-Twitter Alps and conquered it.


Today I wish for you peace, pressed down and overflowing.

Photo from Wikipedia.

14 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to learn that at some point in the future I'll be able to order your book on Amazon. Never having gotten involved with Twitter, I can't help you there. And Facebook, I only have one page and it's just a usual one, not a fancy one with different pages. At least I don't think so. I only look at the top one in any event. Good luck! And I'm glad your health is improving, Dee. Wonderful news! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear DJan, I'm not sure when the manuscript--which has gone through so many drafts--will become a book. Over Thanksgiving I will be working with the friend who is doing the formatting and then I'll know more about the time of publication. Thank you so much for saying you will order it. The marketing of a self-published book puzzles me. I so hope that somehow I can get word out to those who might be interested in the story. Peace ever and always.

      Delete
  2. I, too, am so glad your health is improving & I hope it keeps on doing that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Fishducky, like you, I hope my health keeps improving. One of the good things about my being ill is that I have learned to live in the moment. Go with the flow as some say. Live in the present. I did that in the convent and then lost the ability afterward. So now I'm coming full circle. Peace to you today.

      Delete
  3. I solve the FB/Twitter/Instagram conundrum by not playing any of them.
    Like every one else I am glad to hear that your health is improving, and looking forward to seeing what sprouts from your infinitely fertile mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sue, I love your saying that I have an "infinitely fertile mind." Wow! What a compliment. I'm going to hold onto that as I consider what next to write now that the convent memoir pages are complete.

      If all goes well, I'll self-publish a second book next year on cats. It's a cat fantasy for which both the writing and the art have been done. Judy King, who did the art for Dulcy's first book, did the art for this one also. The illustrations are so tongue-in-cheek that I laugh out loud when I see them. Peace as ever.

      Delete
  4. I guess that in order to publicize your book you need to become familiar with Twitter, Facebook, etc. If not for that, I would recommend staying away. What I love about your mind, well, one of many things, is that it never gives up. You get hit with all this adversity and no matter what, your mind never gives up. Your mind wants to write and I'm sure that's what you will be doing. Peace, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Inger, thanks for the vote of confidence. It's true that I seem to be a highly motivated person when writing is the end result of my efforts. Crafting a good sentence just delights me! Peace to you this evening.

      Delete
  5. My daughter set up my Facebook page; I have no reason or inclination to get on Twitter and just the word Instagram is too confusing to me.

    It sounds like you have a good team of people that are there to help you get your book published, Dee. I am sure they will find a way to solve these media problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Arleen, Instagram is a mile too far for me. Learning how to use Facebook and Twitter is a steep learning curve right now.

      Yes, I do have a "good team of people" who are helping me. I'm trusting that all shall be well. Take care. Peace to you now and ever.

      Delete
  6. I am no help on Facebook or Twitter. My niece set mine up on a dummy name just so I can access the families accounts to keep up.
    Admire you for tackling this project and glad you have helpers.
    Keep feeling a bit better each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patti, I am feeling better each day. More energy and more ease of movement and sight. I'm mostly living in the moment, and that is where I've always wanted to dwell--not in the past or in the future. But right now; right here. Being ill is teaching me how to do that. It's one of the "perks." Peace to you and all those you love.

      Delete
  7. My spouse has a Facebook account but her dementia has slowly separated her from that. For me blogging remain my only social media effort. I like to tell stories and write so the blogging gives me great satisfaction although far few do it no that Facebook is the thing. I found it to be rather trite and non creative so took no interest. Also having "blogging friends around the world seemed more interesting than friends and neighbors I can talk to anytime to catch up on the local gossip...:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Facebook and twitter have been with me for over 8 years along with s art phones and tablets.the one I hate now is Google plus. Everything elsecworks just fine.
    Annoying is that both Facebook and Twitter have added so many ads and they are cluttering apos. Also now the follow what Ido on my devices and they want to push recommendations at me . I totally dislike that element of control from them.
    I also find twitter a small font challenge on my phone and have sent complaints.
    I wish you success. Keep working on it.

    ReplyDelete