Sunday, December 20, 2020

An Update and a Christmas Carol

Hello All, on this sunny day with both the birds and the squirrels at the feeder. In five days, we will celebrate the journey of a Jewish family and a group of shepherds to Bethlehem in Judaea. Tomorrow, we celebrate the winter solstice, a yearly promise of change in our natural world.


Shortly after sunset tomorrow, we here in Missouri will look at the southwest skies and see the wonder of the conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn. My hope is that this “Christmas Star,” last seen here 800 years ago, may perhaps lead us all to Bethlehem: each in our own way; each in our own turn; each with our own story. Here’s an old carol, from long years ago, about what the friendly beasts found in Bethlehem.

 


Tomorrow, in another posting, I hope to share with you a modern carol about Bethlehem. That carol also prompts me to share with you my thoughts on how we are all going to Bethlehem and why.

 

But first today: It’s been a month since I last posted about Eliza, the grand-daughter of my heart, and Donna, a friend whose generosity knows no bounds. Both of them are accompanying me in my life-long journey to Bethlehem. Both are gifts whose lightness of spirit and embrace of all humanity have enriched these final years of my life. 


All of us, I suspect, understand that Elisa and Donna, whose lives in just three short months have been changed by cancer, are finding that life is fragile, fleeting, and finite. But . . . filled with the grace of Oneness.

 

Elisa is home now in Idaho. She’s had high dosage radiation on her brain tumor. It lasted for 55 minutes. She’s also completed the seven-day, 20-minute sessions of radiation on her spine. She will return to the Huntsman Cancer Institute in Salt Lake City every six weeks for an immunotherapy infusion. After each third infusion, her whole body will be scanned to observe the course of the cancerous tumors.

 

The oncologists and other doctors at the Huntsman have given her a prognosis of two years. The radiologist, however, told her, “If anyone can beat the odds, you can.” Everyone at Huntsman was somewhat astounded by her grit and determination, her indominable spirit and optimism, her gratitude for what has been and what will be.

 

Donna’s stage 2 breast cancer has been removed, and she begins radiation for three weeks in January. Her prognosis is reassuring: with radiation and the daily taking of a pill (not sure what it is) for five years, there is a 95% probability that the cancer will not return.

 

They both want me to thank you for sharing the past two months with them and for connecting with them through your own spiritual pathways. Both feel and know they have much for which to be grateful this Christmas. I want to thank you, too, for your response to my own health concerns. My concerns have been truly put in perspective when I think of what Elisa’s and Donna’s lives are right now and what they may be.

 

For the past month, Meniere’s Disease has held me in thrall, which, I hope, explains why I haven’t been posting anything more about Elisa and Donna. However, both are on Facebook (as I am) and whenever Elisa has posted, I have shared her post on my own Facebook page. A number of those who have “befriended” me there have responded to her stories. 


Many of her posts are funny; others poignant; still others, inspiring. And some illustrate Elisa’s way of drop-kicking this force called “cancer.” If you, too, use Facebook, her name there is Elisa Beth Magagna should you have a desire to read her own account of her journey with cancer. 

 

Peace.

22 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update on Elisa and Donna... and yourself, Dee. Hearing these stories as well as the ones my daughter-in-laws (nurses) tell us of those struggling with Covid in the hospitals help us put our own little problems into prospective. I will continue to pray for all. And I will be looking for that 'Christmas Star' too! Perhaps it will be a sign that all will be well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rian, Elisa's struggles with stage 4 cancer and Donna's with stage 2 put my health into perspective. But this year has really help me appreciate how fortunate I am to be retired and to get social security and have Medicare. So many families facing so many problems. The stress of it is going to lead to an epidemic of mental illness I believe. And 1 child out of every 4 children goes to bed hungry in our country right now. About the only reason I wish Were rich is to be able to give it all away to those who so need money. Peace.

      Delete
  2. I'm not on Facebook and I have some questions and information maybe, so I will email you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every evening I open my advent calendar with thoughts of you three brave women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne, what a dear you are. I'm so glad you are enjoying the calendar. I am too! Peace.

      Delete
  4. Friends are precious gifts and I wish the best care for your dear ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Arleen, true gifts and I find myself so fortunate to have had many friends during the various stages of my life. Blessings. Peace.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for these updates.
    While I am not on FB I am endlessly grateful for the way that the internet has 'shrunk' my world, and brought me close to people I would not have met in any other way.
    My very best and most caring wishes go to all three of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sue, thank you. I so agree with you about the Internet, especially with regard to blogging. To have met friends like you, way down there (on the globe!!!!) in Australia is one of the joys of my life. Peace.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad your friends have some hopeful news on their treatments.

    My your Christmas be full of love, peace and whatever else makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jean, thank you for the Christmas wishes. Right now I wish I had bushels and bushels of money to give away to those who can't pay their rent and mortgages and those who don't have enough food to feed their children. Peace.

      Delete
  7. May your friends continue to do well! A dear friend of mine was just given a terminal diagnosis this past week. I've just been tested to ensure that I am virus-free, so that I may visit her.

    I am excited to scan the night sky this evening for views of Jupiter and Saturn.

    Be well, Dee. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bea, it's such good news to know that you will be able to visit with your friend. As time slips away with a terminal diagnosis, I so realize how fortunate I am to have met and come to love Elisa. I wish I could visit her, but she lives many states away. I'm glad you'll get to visit. What a great Christmas gift for you . . . and for your friend. Peace.

      Delete
  8. Looking forward to more updates and positive news.
    I hadn't heard this song for decades. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rita, that is an old song and it's always been a favorite of mine. I love to hear children sing it. And I'll be sure to update with positive news whenever Elisa shares it with me. Her spirits are good and she is being her own joyous self throughout all this. Peace.

      Delete
  9. Glad both are making progress. My sister also has stage 2 breast cancer and will start chemo Jan 5. Surger was already done early November.
    Have a nice Christmas week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Heidrun, thank you for commenting. I know that's hard with your eye-sight. I'm sorry to learn about your sister's stage 2 cancer. She and Donna will be doing radiation about the same time. Let's hope both experience success with it. Peace.

      Delete
  10. I am so glad to hear that all is well, or as well as can be expected, considering. I think of you all every morning when I open the Advent calendar and search for the gnome. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear DJan, yes, "as well as can be expected, considering." Like you, I look at the calendar in the morning. But many nights I open it and play games and look at the scene in the moonlight and starlight that's part of the night calendar! Peace.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the update. I really liked the carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jo-Anne, like you, I really like that old carol. Many years ago, when I was teaching, one of the nuns taught it to the children's choir. To see them sing it with such joy and expression created a lovely memory within me. Peace.

      Delete