Thursday, November 5, 2020

An Update on Elisa's Cancer



 

In last Sunday’s posting, I shared with you what is happening with Elisa, the young woman who has become a daughter/grand-daughter to me in the past seven years. Thank you for the comments you left. I’ve shared them with her.

 

Now I want to update the information I gave you last Sunday. 

 

The biopsy, which was done on Tuesday, revealed that she has stage four melanoma in the tumors on her spine and in her gall bladder and lungs. The tumor in her brain is not, the doctors said, cancerous as “yet.” 

 

Those who are in stage four melanoma have a 1 in 6 chance of living possibly five more years. 

 

There are two types of this melanoma. Being in type #1 can help a person live for those additional years. That’s because with type #1, there is a therapy medication that strengthens the immune system. 

 

There’s no medication or therapy to keep those with type #2 of stage four melanoma from dying early.

 

Elisa does not know yet, which type of stage 4 melanoma she has. 

 

FYI: I know little about cancer. So, I may not have heard correctly what Elisa told me. Moreover, I may not understand the implications. If I’ve said something here that you know is medically incorrect, please let me know.

 

This morning, Elisa called to tell me that her insurance company will not cover the medication that the doctors/surgeons at Huntsman Cancer Institute have had her on. Instead, last night she was administered a new medication. The side effects for her have been as follows: only one hour of sleep; hallucinations; constant itching. 

 

Clearly, Elisa is allergic to this new medication. The nurse practitioner is now trying to work with the insurance company to find a non-allergic medication it will cover. For now, Elisa has to stay on the one that’s giving her so many stressful side-effects.

 

Last year, two of my dearest friends died: Bob Kraske and Pat Lassonde. At the time, I blogged about how each had touched my life with goodness. In the past ten years of my life, 10 friends have died and 3 close relatives. So, the reality of aging is the narrowing down of those who have enriched our life with laughter and love.

 

This morning, lying in the doze before waking, I thought that I’ve always wanted to live to be 102. That would mean that I have 18 years left. And I thought, “If only I could give those 18 years to Eliza. In the beat of my heart, the blink of my eye, the throb of my love, I would do so.”

 

But I can’t because I’m not in control. Accepting that is truly a part of becoming fully human. So, once again, I come to you and ask for your healing thoughts. Prayers. Energy. Visualizations. 

 

At the deep center of Elisa's being, where she is most truly herself, dwells a wellspring of joy. I hope that joy will continue to enfold and imbue others. I hope Elisa will have five more years to enjoy being with Mike, her children, her extended family, and her multitude of friends. That is what I hope. 

 

But whatever happens, I find myself filled with a deep and abiding gratitude for the gift of her presence in my life. That she chose me as a mentor, then a friend, then a grandmother is a mysterious wonder. We simply never know where life will take us and who we will meet on the journey. I’ve met Elisa. 

 

Please do continue to hold Elisa up into the light of your own belief. Thank you. Peace. 

 

 

35 comments:

  1. May God bless your friend and give her peace and healing. Peace to you too, Dee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sally. The surgeons are operating right now (Tuesday 11/10/20). I so trust the prayers and intentions of all of us gathered in Oneness. Peace.

      Delete
  2. Your story of friendship with Elisa is so inspiring. I will continue sending healing thoughts her way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jean, thank you. As to inspiring, I do know that she has inspired me in my writing and in my approach to life. Peace.

      Delete
  3. I have read that in some cases, by going straight to the Pharma company itself, one may be able to get the drug. The nurse practitioner may know ways around this.

    I hope your dear friend’s news is good and she is type 1, and she will have more time with all those who love her so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Arleen, like you, I'm hoping for that type 1 melanoma. Today we'll find out more because she's being operated on. Thank you for your lovely and generous response to my cry for help. Peace.

      Delete
  4. Dee, I'm guessing (not assuming) that that is Elisa in the picture with you at the top of your post. She is a beautiful girl... and looks so happy to be with you. You are both blessed to have each other. I will continue to keep her and her family (and you) in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rian, yes, that's Elisa, who is, indeed, a blessing in my life. Our journeys through life are filled with mystery and I am so grateful that for some unknown reason, I met her. I'm filled with gratitude because I've always been so fortunate. I've done nothing to deserve that and so I feel as if I kneel before the burning bush as my life continues to surprise me. And I trust that Elisa kneels there with me. Peace.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful photo of the two of you! I will continue to hold her, her family, and all who love her in the Light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cynthia, thank you for holding us all in the Light. I know that it shines through our pores and touches our deepest needs. And right now, as she is being operated on, that light is there within and about her. How dear you are for seeing her in it. Peace.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes it is hard to see God's will in these situations, but I am sure that she is not only in His hands, but also in the hearts and minds of all who love her. I will pray for her, Dee. She looks to be a very beautiful person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear DJan, yes. I've always believed, encouraged by my mother, that out of all experience comes good. That is, if we look for it and if we are open to it. I trust that Oneness will bless us all today as Elisa is operated on. And that what happens will be for the good of Elisa and her family and the Universe. That's what I'm holding onto. Peace.

      Delete
  7. May God bless and watch over your friend and give her guidance through her journey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jo-Anne, thank you. . . Just this moment I got a text from Mike (Elisa's husband) to tell us on the "texting list!" that the operation is over and "the patient is doing well." Oh, Oneness is good as are all the bloggers, like you, who have been so generous with their prayers and intentions. Peace.

      Delete
  8. I am praying God will heal your dear Elisa. That is true love when you say you would give up those years to give to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Terra, she does feel to me as if she were the daughter or the grand-daughter I never had because of my life choices. And, like all
      "mothers/grandmothers," I could be happy to give her a longer life, just as I have had a long life filled with loving relationships.

      The operation is over now--today, Tuesday, 3:00 PM-CST--and as her husband said, "the patient is doing well." How wonderful. Thank you for your prayers. Peace.

      Delete
  9. This lovely child needs us all to pray for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne, thank you for that sentence. It so epitomizing what I'm feeling. It's 3:19 PM here--CST--and the operation is over and Mike texted that "the patient is doing well." I so hope "this lovely child" will continue to do well through the rest of the operations that must follow. Take care; stay safe. Peace.

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful young lady whose spirit just shines in her face. She is in my prayers and I do know prayer works. Twice when I was very sick and scared, I felt the power of the prayers wash over me and a wonderful change happened. I pray she also gets such a change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patti, I've remembered what you said here ever since I read it last Thursday. And I shared it with Elisa and my family. I trust that, as you said, "a wonderful change" can happen because of the power of prayer. I just got a text from Mike (Elisa's husband). He has just spoken to the surgeon who said "the surgery went extremely well." Elisa is awake, Mike says, and the breathing tube is out. Life is good! Thank you again for sharing your story. Peace.

      Delete
  11. She is on my prayer list.
    How grateful you must be to have her in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Judy, I'm so glad that she's on your prayer list. Mine too! And, you are right, I am so grateful for her presence in my life. Peace.

      Delete
  12. Thank you for this update. I continue to hold her (and you) in my heart. And to hope...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sue, today the surgeon did a nearly 8-hour operation on the tumor in the lumbar area of the spine. It has been "eaten away" by cancer until it was only 1/4 it's original size. It was what was causing nearly all the horrific pain. Mike has texted and she is "doing well." I will post tomorrow (11/11) about what was done. Sue, thank you for your great generosity of spirit and the hope that sits in the deep center of your being. Peace.

      Delete
  13. Sorry to hear about Elisa's medical challenges at any age, but especially when she's so young. Will keep sending her well-wishes.

    I empathize with the losses you've experienced as I've found that to be one of the most difficult aspects of aging -- family and friends, younger than me and older, too, increasingly leaving this world. As one said, "There are no friends like old friends."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joared, thank you for sending healing wishes to Elisa. The operation today went well. I'll post about it tomorrow (11/11).

      Yes, aging has been for me a matter of letting go of so many people and some heart wishes as well as the health I always enjoyed. Letting go and being grateful for the presence in my life of those who are now more deeply One with all of us. Peace.

      Delete
  14. May God bless Elisa with healing and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nicki, thank you for asking God's blessings on Elisa. She was operated on today, and I'll post about that on Wednesday 11/11. I'm so grateful that you added the word "comfort" in you comment. It is what we want for those we love. Comfort . . . and Contentment. Peace.

      Delete
  15. Thank you for sharing with us about Elisa's condition, Dee. I will think good thoughts for her. May she have many more years with her friends and family! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bea, like you, I'm so hoping that she will have many more years with her family and friends. I'd like her to see her children grown and moving into the lives that they choose, possibly having grandchildren! Peace.

      Delete
  16. Sending you positive vibes. Life is so full of mysteries. Last night a distant family member only 42 died in her sleep with no known cause. May Eliza get her better meds and be granted quality time .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Heidrun, thank you for the positive vibes. I'm sure they helped during the operation today on the tumor on Elisa's lumbar area of the spine. And yes, I so agree about the mysteriousness of life. We surely are not in control. So sorry I can't make these words bigger and thus easier for you to read. Take care; stay safe. Peace, pressed down and overflowing.

      Delete
  17. Dear Dee, I have followed Elisa's "journey" since we talked. (When I emailed a friend about my cancer, she responded, "What a journey you will have." (An understatement and not the word I would have chosen!) Throughout my reading, I didn't know what to write here. Elisa is all you told me, of course, a truly amazing person. I ache for her, for her family and for you in the ways that I am able. I hold you all closely. How wonderful for your deep, fulfilling relationship. The "tomfoolery" photo is delightfully telling! I wish for what is best.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dee, I wrote the above comment that included the "tomfoolery" photo reference. (Evidently, I didn't read the rules!) Marilyn Norton

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dee, this is Marilyn Norton. I wrote the note on Nov. 16 @2:31 p.m. that included the "tomfoolery" photo reference.

    ReplyDelete