Sunday, December 22, 2019

My Christmas Gift This Year

I’ve not blogged since November 3. The interval between then and now has schooled me in my own fragility. For several months before November, I’d dealt with the pain of bone on bone. Then on November 18, I had total left knee replacement. 

I’d had the same surgery—with the same orthopedic surgeon—nine years before on the right knee. All had gone well then. In fact, I looked back at the whole thing as almost “a walk in the park!”

However, from the 18thto about a week ago, nothing went as I thought it would. There were mishaps: two weeks of unexpected drainage; misinformation; much more pain than I’d anticipated—all because of the new protocol the surgeon now uses. One word describes these weeks: grueling.

Having no appetite, I’ve lost 8 pounds. For four weeks, I got no more than 2 hours of sleep a night because of knee and back pain caused by the new protocol. My spirits have been down. My family and friends have said, “We’ve never seen you this way before.” Normally, I ignore pain and look always for the best. I’ve been unable to do that this time.

But Tim, the outpatient therapist has been encouraging. Because of his suggestions and gentle prodding, I’ve left the despair of the first four weeks and entered a room lit by my hopes for full recovery. In the past week, I’ve become less self-absorbed, more aware of the wide world beyond my home. A plethora of wonderful human beings inhabit this world.

For me, this is the great gift of Christmas.

Nativity scene in Jerusalem in 2014 at the Church of the Assumption

Many of us may doubt whether the Bethlehem Christmas story every happened. We believe that Yeshua was born to Mary. But were there shepherds, kings, and angels? Did a star announce glad tidings? 

For myself, whether there were or not, doesn’t matter. The fact is I need this story each year to remind me that human beings are—by and large—wonderfully good.

I need to believe that I am freely given the gift of love without my having to deserve it. I’m given this gift daily from families and friends and from the unexpected stranger who journeys with me on the back-and-forth Uber/Lyft trips I take to therapy. During these trips, I’ve heard so many touching stories; been greeted by so much good will; been witness to the drivers’ hopes that all shall be well.

During this year, I’ve met kings—the famous and inspiring people whose words in books, songs, blogs, news stories inspired me. 

I’ve encountered shepherds—the homeless who live in cardboard boxes and who, in some ways, are the forgotten of society. They somehow hold on to life and look forward to good news—if not today, then tomorrow.

I’ve seen a star—a portent of the future and my hopes for it. I recognize its brilliance in the truth-filled lyrics of a song, the cadence of a poem, the compassion of a stranger, the pages of a book. All have encouraged me to hold on to my dream of writing until I can write no more. 

So you see, I need this Bethlehem story. It is a clarion call to me each year to embrace what life offers and to find the good in all. I forgot that during the weeks since the operation. I’m remembering it now. 

If it’s possible, let’s remember together.

May Bethlehem be the place where we all meet in good will and rejoice in the freely given gift of the good will of other human beings. 

Peace.  

30 comments:

  1. Dear Dee,
    I am so very glad that you have entered a light and hope filled space. I do hope that the worst of the pain is behind you, and hope for more light (and love and laughter) in the year(s) to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sue, yes, I have left the despondency behind and once again I'm following my mom's mantra: look for the good. It is her greatest legacy to me. Thank you for the good wishes. I hope that both of us will know light, love, laughter . . . and good health in the years to come.

      Delete
  2. That was beautiful and truly inspiring, Dee. I’ve never looked at the Christmas story quite that way, and I love it.
    I hope I can soon be saying things are better, too, with my recovery. I’ve never dealt with such unrelenting pain and how it wears one down and takes over everything.
    Instead of “merry” Christmas, I will say I wish you a comfortable Christmas and may some of the treats of the season tempt your appetite into a resurrection! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cynthia, I'm am so sorry that your pain is being unrelenting. I really never realized before what bone pain was like--and then there's the muscle and the tendon and the incision pain! I know it is wearing you down. But somewhere, I trust, there will be a harbinger of new life and you will ever so slowly make the turn in the road that leads to total recuperation. I think that has happened for me and thus this blog. Thank you for the good wishes. Let us both look forward to resurrection! Peace . . . and you take care.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad your spirits are lifted and you're recovery is back on track. Enjoy the season of love and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jean, it's five weeks to the day since I had the knee replacement and I feel truly fortunate that my spirits have lifted because I lost the way for a while. I turned negative and pessimistic--two traits that haven't occupied much of my life. But perhaps I needed to explore them to understand what others might go through. Whatever the reason, I find myself glad that I'm now recognizing the me in my response to all this! May your coming year be filled with health and good will. Peace.

      Delete
  4. I've got a few extra pounds I'd love to send your way! I just received your beautiful card; thank you so much for it. And I am enjoying my Advent calendar so very much, Dee. I'm also hoping that the worst of the pain is behind you. Love and light sent from me to you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear DJan, the worst of the pain is behind me. Tim--therapist--is being so supportive and informative and helping me understand that all this is part of getting well. And going to therapy is like returning to the school of humanity. I see and meet so many people there who are dealing with much harder and much longer problems than I. Their fortitude inspires me. I'm sending love and light back to you and being glad that you like the Advent Calendar as well as the peacock card. Jacqui Lawson's team is surely a marvel! Peace.

      Delete
  5. How good to know you have come through the worst of the new knee. I am sorry this was a painful journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne, I'm learning from this journey and for me that's has always been the most important aspect of every new experience--that I learn from it and that the learning will help me understand others and reach out to them. Let's both hope, Joanne, for healthy years ahead. Peace.

      Delete
  6. It's good to read a post from you, Dee. I'm glad you have Tim to inspire you. May you work through the new protocol as best you can!

    Season's Greetings from out west,
    Bea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bea, so good to hear from out west! Tim does inspire me. At today's session he told me I was a hard worker and I was getting wonderful results. And so I discover--once again--just how much praise influences me! I like to think that I do my best in all my endeavors. And this whole experience has shown me how negative I can be--and I don't care for that Dee Ready! She's a real downer. Merry Christmas and a healthy and happy new year. Peace.

      Delete
  7. Sending much love and thanking you for sharing this experience. It resonates with me so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sabrina, I got your other comment and so know about the chronic condition you've been dealing with. Pain can really affect every aspect of our humanity. I let it led me down the path of being totally self-absorbed for nearly 3 1/2 weeks. I didn't like listening to what I was saying to others about all this. But change is happening and I am rediscovering my life-long attitude toward everything: look for the good. I hope the coming year brings you the health we both long for. Peace.

      Delete
  8. Your optimistic outlook is inspiring!

    "A plethora of wonderful human beings inhabit this world."

    You don't hear that everyday. Or ever. Maybe never. Very kind and hopeful. It is good to see!

    Wishing you more blessings than you can hold, Dee. Peace on Earth and good will towards men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sandi, thank you for wishing me the blessings that will fill my life in such a way that I can be gift from the Universe to others. Take care. And have a lovely Christmas. Peace.

      Delete
  9. "For myself, whether there were or not, doesn’t matter. The fact is I need this story each year to remind me that human beings are—by and large—wonderfully good." Love these words, Dee, and totally agree. Also love the advent calendar. Thanks so much. I'm so sorry you had such a rough time lately, but hopefully you've come through now and all will be well. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful pain-free New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rian, I'm holding on to the realization that this pain is just a small part of the year 2019. During that year also I met you through blogging and read your wonderful book and learned that you might write a sequel (!!!!!!!) and also I published a book that I worked on for 22 years. So now, I'm putting aside pain and remembering wonder. Peace.

      Delete
  10. Aww Dee I am so very sorry for what you have been through. I really hope most of the struggles are behind you. What a shock to have a surgery you thought of as a walk in the park in the past turn on you so viciously this time.
    Just know there are a bunch of us out here who care and wish you only the best. Be well and comfortable Dee and keep us informed. You have been missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patti, thank you for being so supportive. We are so fortunate that we began to blog several years ago and have met such lovely, caring people. Life, despite my recent negativity, is good, filled with friendship and love. And good health is just around the corner! Peace.

      Delete
  11. Your post is so moving and meaningful. May your recuperation and newfound peace flourish. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear LC, thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I'll begin reading yours too. What a lovely Christmas gift to discover another blogger who's spirit touches mine. Thank you for your blessings. I've learned from this experience and that always makes everything worthwhile--when I learn! Peace.

      Delete
  12. i know how painful those replacement surgeries can be and each one is different and the older we get it seems the more intense the pain is and the longer it takes us to heal. At least you have from now until Spring to get rehabed and able to walk more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Judy, yes, I think age has a lot to do with what happened. I was 74 back in 2010 when the right knee was replaced. Now, nine years later, I'm 83 and the body is a little weary from its moving into the new experience of aging. I've discovered the loss of friends, but also found myself filled with gratitude for the friendship we shared. And I've learned that pain can be a sign of healing too. I hope to use my recumbent exercise bike, which I bought in a burst of enthusiasm about 20 years and let it mostly collect dust. It and walking will, I hope, make me stronger. Take care and I hope you have a lovely day today and a healthy and happy new year. See you in 2020! That's when I'm planning on returning to blogging (reading and posting) on a regular basis. Peace.

      Delete
  13. Sounds like you are at the crest of a hard rocky hill. God has His hand on you, on your knee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Susan, I like the image of Oneness holding the hand of healing on my knee. Inadvertently, I pulled a calf muscle on that same leg last week and so I've set myself back, but healing is happening even as I type this. Thank you for your thoughts and support. Peace.

      Delete
  14. Dear Dee, I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling unwell and suffering from pain the last couple months. But I hope the new year will bring you lots of love, peace and good health! I, too, try to see the good in life and your posts always make me happy as you tend to see the little ray of light behind every shadow. You are inspiring! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Baiba, thank you for your concern. I am now--almost two weeks after posting--much better. I will perhaps tomorrow have my last therapy session.

      I'm so happy to learn that my posts make you "happy" and that you think I see the "little ray of light behind every shadow." If I do that most of the time, it's because of my mom's advice to me. Sh was a wonderful woman and a great influence in my life. She inspired me and I am glad that through me she inspires you. Peace in this new year of 2020.

      Delete