Tuesday, February 19, 2019

My Bakery




Last week, I wrote that the wheat of my life had been ground between millstones into a flour I would use for baking this year. This past week, I’ve thought about flour—rye, whole wheat, white—and all I can bake with it. Through the years, I’ve baked—

·      whole wheat, white, rye, pumpernickel, and potato yeast bread;
·      all sorts of muffins, some with fruit bits in them, many with herbs and cheese, others with spices;
·      stollens and tarts and St. Lucia wreathes as Christmas gifts;
·      scones for myself and for company;
·      quick bread—nut, banana, pumpkin, zucchini, craisins, carrot and pineapple—that I gave as Christmas gifts to neighbors and friends;
·      cookies galore for children who gave me great joy as they devoured them;
·      pistachio and chocolate biscotti for those coffee-drinking friends who enjoy them;
·      pecan as well as cinnamon rolls for breakfast gatherings;
·      rolls for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners;
·      biscuits for company when I’ve served soup;
     cakes and crumbles for birthdays and other celebrations;
·                          pancakes and waffles for breakfast.
·      

During the past week, I thought about all the delicious items one can make with flour. So many; so different in taste and texture; so different in the time needed to prepare and bake them; so different as to when we eat them and how we celebrate with them.

Now for an analogy.

Writing a memoir (circa 75,000 words) or a novel (circa 120,000 words) is like making yeast bread. From cupping the flour to taking the loaves out of the oven takes me four hours. That’s all morning or afternoon. A big job—that’s a novel or memoir.

Writing a gift book (circa 22,000 words) is like making cookies.

Writing a blog (I always try to write no more than 600 words) is like making scones.

I’d like to continue doing all of this—but not on a timetable or schedule because I’ve done that with making the yeast bread of novels and memoirs and what has happened is that writing has ceased to be a joy and has become labor. Something that MUST be done!
·     
So when I feel creative and the right side of my brain “bulges” with ideas, I’ll make “yeast bread.”

The same goes for making the cookies that are gift books.

The scones that are these blog postings remain enjoyable to me when I do them once weekly. I get to read your comments and respond to them; I get to visit your blogs and see what’s happening in your lives. We become a community.

Now here’s some news: I’ll be “baking” something else as well—pancakes!

Last Tuesday, a friend called me. She hadn’t read my Monday blog and so knew nothing about the possibility that I might give up writing. As the managing editor of a newspaper in Idaho that circulates to 35,000 families, she’s in charge of what goes in the paper.

She wanted to add a new weekly 250-word column to the paper for animal lovers and asked if I’d write it. At the same time, she asked would I join with another woman and do an advice column. I’d just need to respond to a couple of reader concerns/questions a week.

Clearly, the Universe had read my posting! I immediately said yes to both opportunities. So weekly I’ll be serving pancakes--in Idaho!

I want to thank all of you for the thoughtful and concerned comments you left last week. Please drop by next week for another “scone.” It will probably be about why I’m choosing to continue to make yeast bread—with a new recipe.

Peace.

25 comments:

  1. Quite the analogy. I'm looking forward to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne, I'm looking forward "baking" what I feel like each day! Thanks for your support. Peace.

      Delete
  2. "Writing a blog (I always try to write no more than 600 words) is like making scones."

    I like that. Blogging? No, I am making scones! :)

    That is great news about the paper. Will you post a link to your columns? It will be very funny if one of those endeavors leads to your being published in the traditional way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sandi, yes, very funny! But we both know that the Holy Oneness of All Creation works in mysterious ways.

      Not sure about the link. I'll ask my friend at the newspaper. Peace.

      Delete
  3. I have been obsessed with making scones lately---the eatable kind---and your analogy between blogging and scones really fits.

    I'm happy the opportunity to write for the newspaper came your way. It sounds like a perfect, low stress happenstance that you'll be good at doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Scones are such fun to make--just a few ingredients--lots of time just 4 or 5--in a bowl, knead 10 times, then cut and put in the oven! I hope you are enjoying your scone making. There are so many recipes around for delicious herbal or fruit tidbits scones. Good luck with your baking. Peace.

      Delete
  4. I am so glad to read that the Universe is listening in to the life of one very dedicated baker. I look forward to many scones in the future, as well as some other tidbits. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear DJan, I feel as if I've come to the place where those two roads that Frost talks about diverge. I'm slowly tip-toeing down a new road. Thanks for your support with regard both to the scones and to another baking I do! Peace.

      Delete
  5. That is wonderful, Dee. Pancakes are fun to make and fill you up. I am so happy for you and look forward to any scones you want to give out.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Arleen, I've always found pancakes to be delicious. That's why I often choose to go to IHOP when friends ask where we'll eat. I made a pancake yesterday for the paper and all went well! Writing just 250 words demands that I be ruthless in editing and cutting anything that is extraneous. This project, like blogging and sticking to 600 words, will help me write better I think. Peace.

      Delete
  6. Dear Dee,
    I, too, didn't know you were about to give up writing, but I'm glad these new opportunities found you right on time!

    I always enjoy your beautiful 'scones', as they are made with love, care and wisdom! And I'm sure people will love your 'pancakes' as well! You are an inspiration to me and many others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Baiba, so good to see a comment from you. I hope all is well in our world. I'll search out your blog this week. Thank you for your kind words of support. I'm going to offer readers pancakes and scones and some loaves of yeast bread also--I hope! Peace.

      Delete
  7. Wow, that is almost perfect. Congrats on the newspaper gig and how cool that you were sought out. I do hope you post links to your column in the newspaper. They are paying you aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patti, not sure about being paid. That wasn't mentioned as I'm doing this for a friend. Maybe if all goes well, there will be some renumeration during the year. For me, right now, it's just pure enjoyment! Peace.

      Delete
  8. That’s exciting! A column is fun, a lot like a blog. I’m sure you will enjoy feedback with the readers there, too. Congratulations on your new job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cynthia, I'm not sure if I'll get feedback. Maybe. I've done two 250-word articles already and found both to be fun and challenging. (Writing just 250 words means that every single one of them has to be essential!) Peace.

      Delete
  9. 'Pancakes in Idaho' sounds good! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bea, I made a pancake yesterday--one that cat-lovers might like "to eat"! I'm having fun with this. Peace.

      Delete
  10. Well done!! Both in baking and the analogy!

    And, huzzah for the new job. Your words will sing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Susan, oh, I so hope my words will sing! Yours do--often! Peace.

      Delete
  11. I'm so happy these new opportunities came your way. And of all the baked goods you listed, scones with clotted cream are my favorites. Thinking of my blog as a scone may be inspiring or maybe I will get hungry.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Inger, yes, I can remember sitting in a tea shoppe in Cornwall, in the town of Pendanze, which was a sea town, eating a scone with closed cream and homemade strawberry jam. What a treat. It's one of my best memories of visiting England in 1979.

      You know scones are easy to make, so if you get hungry just make yourself some--20 minutes is all! Peace.

      Delete
  12. I took a memoir writing class at our local college. All our instructor did was talk about herself. Most boring class ever. I adore scones, but have never tried to make them. I always buy and assortment from Fiji's every Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. That memoir class sounds a little skewed. I wonder if it was the first time the instructor had taught it and she is just learning how to teach others to recall their memories and share them.

      As to scones, if you have any desire to bake, they are a wonderfully tasty treat to start with. It takes just a few minutes to mix the ingredients and then you knead the dough for only 10 back and forth--which takes about 1 or 2 minutes. No more kneading than that or the scone comes out "tough." And you bake for maybe 20 minutes and you are ready to slather with jam and butter or clotted cream and have a taste delight! Peace.

      Delete
  13. This is exciting news. I am sure it will be a fun venture.

    ReplyDelete