Sunday, July 15, 2018

A Dream of a Stillwater Porch


Today I’m sharing with you the background for three recent decisions I made, beginning on Sunday July 1. In this posting I’ll set the scene. Next Sunday, I hope to share the decisions.

I lived in a lovely 1870 lumberjack home in Stillwater, Minnesota, for 32 of the 39 years I lived in that northern state with its blizzards and wind chill. The home had a screened-in, side porch, off the kitchen, that had been built in 1910. Nothing had been done to it since then.

That porch became my favorite part of the house. The cats with whom I lived loved it too. They’d bask in the sun while lying on the ledge where the single-pane glass windows met the non-insulated three-foot-high wall, which sat atop a concrete slab that let in rain water and melting snow. Of course, during the winter, the porch became a deep freeze. No sitting or basking then.

I’d spend my time on the porch, reading, writing, visiting with friends and neighbors, holding a cat or two, or simply looking out the screened windows to the perennial gardens beyond. It was a place of conversation and also of retreat.


 The 1910 screened-in porch with the side perennial garden, the driveway, and the garage.


In 2001, I was finally able—financially—to hire a contractor to turn the porch into a four-season one. Within a short time, it boasted modern windows that kept out the heat in summer but retained the inner heat in winter; a heating-and-air-conditioning unit; a new concrete slab that wasn’t cracked and on which the insulated walls fitted snugly; and a lovely color of paint called "Bee's Honey." 

That porch simply delighted me. It was as if it had arms it could put around me—to comfort when I was in the throes of Meniere’s Disease. To listen attentively when I visited with friends there. To inspire my writing. To calm my soul when the vicissitudes of life threatened my inner peace and left me feeling adrift.

I lived in that home—with that welcoming four-season porch—for eight more years after the contractor completed the work: from September 2001 to June 2009. At that point I moved here to Missouri. I now live in a one-story home that pleases me in every way but one.

That one thing that needs change is the southern-facing patio that is attached to the living room. I go out onto it from glass sliding doors. It has a concrete slab and a roof held up by three pillars. My porch furniture from Stillwater fits there.

However, the weather is so hot and humid here and the bugs so plentiful that I spend little time there during the summer. And, of course, I cannot use it during the winter. Spring and fall are the patio’s seasons but with climate change even those times tend to be problematic temperature- and weather-wise.

When I first moved here, I thought of turning that patio into a four-season porch similar to the space I’d enjoyed in Stillwater. However, money was tight and rather soon after moving I began to have a series of physical problems that sapped my energy and preoccupied my thoughts. Necessarily, I let go of my yearning for a porch on which I might sit with the cats and enjoy the morning bird song and the apricot sunsets of Missouri.

Then in 2013, my health improved; a friend and I visited seven showrooms to get an idea of what a four-season porch would cost here in Missouri. Rather soon after that, however, my health declined again. I had to deal with cancer, Glaucoma and near loss of vision, and a serious back operation. That brings me to July 1, 2018. Next week I'll share what happened then.

Peace.


35 comments:

  1. I bet...something good happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sandi, something good happened--something unexpected! Peace.

      Delete
  2. I hope you get your porch!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Fishducky, well, stay with me here and you'll see! Peace.

      Delete
  3. I hope you decided to screen out the bugs and add a ceiling fan...a compromise money-wise to a full, four season porch if you didn't fall into enough money to get your dream porch.

    Porches and gazebos were also a wonderful part of my childhood so I understood completely your warm memories about yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rian, the house in which I grew up had only a front and back door stoop. Dad and Mom, my brother and I would huddle on the steps at night and listen to the KC Blues play in the triple A league. It was only when I turned 41 that I met my first porch--the 1910 one on the Stllwater house I'd just bought. Peace.

      Delete
  4. I'll be awaiting the next installment!
    One of the reasons we chose our house here in Georgetown was the beautiful sunroom with windows on the two longest sides. Sadly, we hardly ever get to use it for the same reasons you mentioned. Plus one more - biting bugs. It's such a disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cynthia, yes, it can be such a disappointment when weather--heat, rain, snow--and humidity--and bugs can keep us from the porch. Peace.

      Delete
  5. Yes, we all have the same vision. Something good is in the offing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne, something good has happened. I'll share it next week. That is, if my post doesn't get too long. If it does, I'll need a third post! I am so long-winded! Or, to be more blunt--my posts are so wordy! Peace.

      Delete
  6. I am thrilled to know that my suspicions are correct and good things are flowing your way. And very much looking forward to the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sue, yes good things are flowing my way, especially because I am listening to the voice within that knows Dee Ready and her foibles fairly well! Peace.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Dear Lori, well, now you are just going to have to wait for that update!!! Peace.

      Delete
  8. Can't wait to learn what happened. Although I have my suspicions. Since it's now way too hot to sit on my patio, I know exactly how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Inger, I think it's probably hotter where you live than it is here. Last week was 100 a couple of days with the heat index at 110. I feel so fortunate that I am able to afford air conditioning. I hope you have it also. Peace.

      Delete
  9. I too am looking forward to hearing about the renovation of your porch. Thanks for sharing your good news, whatever the details are. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear DJan, the details will be coming. I'm collecting more information this coming Wednesday. Peace.

      Delete
  10. The four-season porch sounds like a good one, indeed! I like the photo of your 1910 pre-update porch at the old house. I can imagine that it was a great place to be with one's thoughts, entertain guests and visit with the cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bea, yes, I so enjoyed that porch from 1977 when I bought the house to 2001 when I had it rebuilt to 2009 when I moved away. It was so pleasant to sit and visit with friends. And the cats basked in the sun! Peace.

      Delete
  11. I love porches and any place you can keep coming back to that makes you feel safe and in tune with life. When we lived in MN we saw many beautiful 4 season porches. My favorite place to sit here is on our front porch, but only in Spring and Fall and what passes for winter here as it's not screened in. Too bad you had to leave the original one, but I feel you'll have happy news for us nex post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Molly, leaving Stillwater and my home there and the porch was hard, but necessary. I've come to really appreciate the one-story home in which I now lives. I could no longer handle the steep steps in my two-story + basement home in Minnesota. So the house I'm in now and I fit one another. Peace.

      Delete
  12. I am assuming that something really good has happened and you are going to get that porch. Can't wait to hear and see you get your dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patti, something good did happen--it's a surprise! Peace.

      Delete
  13. I just put in a detached three season room. It soothes my soul and gives me great joy. I cannot use it in the winter but that is OK. I have put pictures of it in my next post. I just have to decide if I will publish.

    I hope to read that you are doing something similar. (I am writing this comment from my new outside room. It is 11pm and I would be happy to stay here all night.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Arleen, I so do hope you post at some point so I can see that 3-season porch. That's a good idea given what I've been quoted for the price of a 4-season.

      I like to think of you in the new room feeling joy and know the soothing ouch of peace. Peace pressed down and overflowing.

      Delete
  14. My Grandma had a screened in porch for summer, with windows to replace the screens for winter.
    In the summer, I loved to sleep out on the porch. I could hear the frogs and the night birds and no mosquitoes could get me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Judy, what wonderful memories you must have of that porch and visiting with your grandma. I, too, remember hearing the frogs when I slept on my Stillwater porch. Peace.

      Delete
  15. We have a sundeck at the back of our house that is totally private. I can go I to my hot tub naked! My husband talks about moving but I am not willing to give up the private sundeck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Birdie, wow! I've never used a hot tub, but I bet that is so relaxing. Bet it renews your spirits. Peace.

      Delete
  16. I love this post!
    My husband built a lovely gazebo 4 years ago, and I cherish every moment sitting inside because it has screens and no bugs! I get a little sad when winter comes. I can relate to your longing for a place like the Stillwater porch. And when we talk of moving, I always tell him he HAS to build another gazebo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lynda, thanks so much for stopping by. I was just so happy to see your name! that gazebo sounds like a retreat then enriches and soothes the spirits. And yes! Having known its power, you definitely need to have one at your next home! Peace.

      Delete
  17. Ah!
    dream for such serene and lashing porch has been in my heart since i entered in my consciousness

    I soooo loved your porch in stilwater dearest Dee!

    a beautiful fertile brain and graceful soul like you deserve to sit in such glorious place while having your cats or writing your heart!

    sorry that your new porch is not according to your dreams my friend but i am sure it is not effecting your world of sublime imagination as bad as you still write so beautifully and touch your reader's souls
    more blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stillwater and the St. Croix river brings up many fond memories for me. I grew up on the East Side of St. Paul and paddling the river, a nearby German restaurant, and the drive inn just across the river were go to places for me...:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. your stillwater house is for sale. i'm sure it will sell fast! I am mark's b-i-l.

    ReplyDelete