Sunday, May 13, 2018

What Interested My Mom



On this Mother’s Day, I’d like to explore interests my mom had. She was a whiz-bang at pinochle. When my brother and I were old enough to understand the game, she taught us how to play. Then the four of us—Mom, Dad, my brother, and I—would play one or two evenings a week. Once a couple of hands had been played, she’d know what was in all our hands. She was, as Dad said, “as sharp as a tack!”

On other evenings, we’d play Monopoly as a family or listen to the radio. All of us enjoyed the comedians of the 1940s. If my brother and I had homework or Dad needed to examine blueprints for his job, Mom would sit and play solitaire or read. I picture her still, with the lamp light shining on her book as she turned the pages.

Mom was an avid reader, especially of historical fiction. On Saturday she had our car to herself. She’d drive uptown to the library and bring home a stack of books—always the latest historical fiction, plus books on gardening, embroidery, animal husbandry, and card playing.

I can remember seeing names like Graves, du Maurier, Llewellyn, van Wyck Mason, Roberts, Hilton, Ferber, Buck, and Douglas among her weekly stack of books. To write in a book or— horror of horrors—to scribble with a crayon was a punishable offense. She’d send my brother or me to sit in the corner and think about the wonder of stories.

Those historical novels gave her so much information about past centuries, eras, occupations, discoveries. About wars, revolutions, and luminaries. Knowing all this and being Irish meant that Mom was a great storyteller. On any trip into town or over to my grandmother’s she could keep my brother and I enthralled with her storytelling.

She loved to sing. Coming home from school, I always entered the house and heard a song coming from the kitchen—songs by Cole Porter, Hart, Gershwin; songs from the twenties and thirties; songs by Frankie and Bing. Mom so loved singing that she sang as she cooked, cleaned, gardened . . . as she did everything . . . and she welcomed my brother and I singing along with her

Both Dad and Mom enjoyed fishing. This posting’s photo was taken by a couple with whom they vacationed back in 1932. They traveled westward to Arizona to see the Painted Desert and fished along the way. Both of them continued to fish after my brother and I were born and after we both grew up and left home. Dad had more patience when they fished; Mom had more luck. “The luck of the Irish,” Dad said.
Peace
Postscript:
Several weeks ago, Dr. Kathy McCoy wrote a review of “Prayer Wasn’t Enough” on her blog: “Living Fully in Midlife and Beyond.” Kathy’s postings cover “emotional issues, health, sexuality, marriage, love relationships, parents, retirement planning and more.” She has been a practicing psychologist for many years and has published several books that reflect those concerns. Her postings often speak to the experiences I’m having as I age. Yesterday she did a podcast about “Prayer Wasn’t Enough.” If you have the time and inclination, click here to listen. The 8-minute podcast segues from Kathy’s youthful thoughts about the convent to the reality of the memoir itself.
This past Monday, a second blogger—Betsy Adams—posted an enthusiastic review of the memoir on Facebook and on her blog: “Joyful Reflections.” Reading it made me grin at how she captured the personality of a young Dee Ready. Click here if you have the time to read a few more words about the memoir.

26 comments:

  1. You have very special memories of your mom and you painted a word picture of her that made her come to life. Love the photo at the top!

    The second half of my latest blog and many of the comments is about your book, Prayer Isn't Enough. It's not exactly a book review---I don't do those---but just thought you'd like to know you're as I think it helped sell a few more copies for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jean, thanks for letting me know about your latest posting. I'll go there today. Blogger I follow have been so generous to me and the memoir. I feel truly blessed. Thank you!!! Peace.

      Delete
  2. Dee, I am thrilled the reality of your memoir is being explored by people more able to explore it than I. It was going to happen.
    I wonder how many of us who came up in the forties knew our mothers would be the most stable element of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne, I am continually amazed at the generosity of fellow bloggers. The convent memoir is, I think, a word-of-mouth type of book given that convents are not part of many people's thinking. So I'm hoping that slowly word will get out! The bloggers are surely helping with that! Peace.

      Delete
  3. This is quite different from some ofyour past mentions of life with your parents. Most interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Heidrun, I think that in the past I have mostly written about the hard things--the seeming abandonment when I was five and Dad's drinking. So the picture is different. I'm hoping that everyone who reads will see how complex each of us are--each with our talents and our good points and our frailties. I know you understand that. Peace.

      Delete
    2. Yes family life is far more complex than we let on. We often just takea moment and decribe it. I like this other side.

      Delete
    3. Dear Heidrun, I like it, too. And I'm so glad that I posted about the good that was in my life while I was growing up. It far outweighed the bad--now that I can look back from 82 years! Peace.

      Delete
  4. Your memories of your mother are so very precious. Thoughts to cherish and to bring out to brighten dark days or nights.
    I love the positive attention your memoir is receiving and am really, really looking forward to having the time to devote to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sue, I look forward to your reading the convent memoir too. I'm hoping it will speak to you. I'm always somewhat amazed at what readers get from it. Take care. Peace.

      Delete
  5. I'm looking at that car and imagining the Painted Desert ... without air conditioning! After reading your book and "meeting" your mom there, it's fun to see this picture of her. I'll check out the podcast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cynthia, it must have been so hot out there in the desert! Mom never talked about this trip except to tell me that they'd gone to the "Painted Desert." Thanks for checking out the podcast! Peace.

      Delete
  6. Love this! Your mom sounds like fun. Hope you had a happy mother's day.

    And I love Kathy McCoy's blog. Thanks for commenting on my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nawm, She was a lot of fun and made life interesting! Peace.

      Delete
  7. Despite the difficult childhood you had, I am glad to read that there were good times also, Dee.

    Playing cards, board games and listening to the radio are all part of my memories also. We had a TV, but it is the family listening to Jack Benny, Our Miss Brooke’s, and The Shadow that I remember so fondly. It is probably about the laughter we shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Arleen, I tend to think that all of us have the ups and downs of life in our lives--the mountains and the valleys, the highs and lows, the light and darkness. So yes, there surely were good times in my childhood. Really good.

      Oh, I'd forgotten Miss Brooke. I'm trying to remember the actress who played her.. What a voice! I so agree with you, it's the laughter we share that we remember. Peace.

      Delete
  8. Thank You, Dee... I even had a couple of your readers visit my post today. Isn't blogging just wonderful?

    I will try to listen to Kathy's podcast....

    Thanks again for writing the book ---just for US to enjoy.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Betsy, I'm glad a couple of readers come your way! Thank you so much for your kind words about the convent memoir. Peace and hugs to you!

      Delete
  9. I love the mental image of your mother singing while going about her days. And you reminded me of those days long ago when we gathered around the radio to listen to Baby Snooks, The Lone Ranger, and The Shadow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear DJan, she sang all the time--feeding the chickens, milking the cow, hoeing the plants in the veggie garden! I so liked the Lone Ranger and the Shadow. I'd forgotten Baby Snooks, but I remember "just plain Bill." Peace.

      Delete
  10. Great photo of your parents, Dee. My dad has always loved fishing, and my mom has loved my dad (while cooking lots of caught fish). I can imagine your mom singing, reading, winning at games. Such good memories.

    I'm also happy your book is getting more exposure. May this continue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Deanna, yes, very good memories. There are some sad ones also but everything balances out and I feel myself truly blessed in my parents.

      Thank you for the good wishes about the convent memoir! Peace.

      Delete
  11. These are wonderful memories. Thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sandi, and thank you for stopping by and reading them! Peace.

      Delete
  12. From previous posts I had the impression that you were not always happy at home, but this post is so joyous that I hope life was not as serious as I had believed. Your Mum sounds like a very contented lady. We played cards too and sang at home. And still my picture of home is not a very happy one.

    I wrote a review of your book on Amazon, also very positive; as you know I enjoyed your tale very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Friko, I think I've spent too much time writing about what was hard while I was growing up. Now that I've aged, I can really see that the good far outweighed the bad.

      Thank you for the review. Unless it's from today, it's not posted here in the United States. I'll see if it's there. But maybe I don't recognize your name. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed the convent memoir. I'm working on its sequel, which I hope to publish next year. It will continue the story of those three Presences and how that came to an end. Peace.

      Delete