Sunday, January 28, 2018

Epiphany about Jealousy



1950 Pontiac Chieftain De Luxe Sedan Coupe
From Wikipedia

What’s happened since I first posted about epiphanies is that I keep remembering others that have changed the course of my thinking or my life. Here’s an important one I’d like to share with you.

It took place during the summer after my sophomore year of high school. I’d had a best friend—let’s call her Julie—since second grade when I first enrolled at St. Mary’s High School in Independence, Missouri. She and I had giggled our way through years of schooling. We’d shared our secrets and done our share of gossiping.

However, during sophomore year, Julie became good friends with another classmate. We’ll call her Gloria. A brilliant student, she could she be both witty and sardonic and made Julie laugh a lot. Her birthday was in February, and when she turned sixteen that year, her father bought her a used Pontiac.

Soon she and Julie began to get in that car after school let out and zoom away to adventure—roaming the stores around the uptown Square, driving in the countryside, visiting the ice cream parlor where Harry Truman had worked as a young man.

I felt left out. Actually, I felt as if my friend of many years had deserted me.

That summer, I worked with the two of them at a local Montgomery Ward’s order fulfillment store. Between the arrival of customers, the two of them talked about their adventures and laughed a lot. I felt even more left out. Actually I thought, What’s wrong with me? Why doesn’t Julie like me anymore? Why am I not enough?

Jealousy seeped through me.

When the two of them invited me to get into the car for a drive around town, I turned them down. “I have to catch the bus home,” I’d say and turn away.

Gloria would offer to drive me home, but imprisoned in my resentment, I always declined. Julie’s response to my recalcitrance was simply, “It’s your choice.” Then she’d get in Gloria’s car; they’d pull away from the curb, leaving me behind. I clutched desertion to my heart, nurturing it.

Late one summer afternoon, I sat moping by the creek that meandered through our farm on its way to the Missouri River. I felt sorry for myself. Friendless.  A loser. I lacked whatever would make Julie happy.

Suddenly and irrevocably came the epiphany. The realization: If I wanted to keep Julie’s friendship, I had to appear content with the status quo. I had to welcome Gloria into our lives. I had to seek out and appreciate what Julie found so intriguing about her.

I knew I was deeply jealous, and I did not think I could become non-jealous. But I realized that I didn’t have to show that jealousy. That I didn’t have to act on it. I’d been offered friendship by Gloria and I’d dismissed it. Shoved it away. Ungraciously.

So while the sun began its descent and the creek burbled and the hoot owls welcomed the night, I resolved to become friends with Gloria and to embrace a new friendship with Julie. A friendship that included Gloria.

I resolved to walk with the pain within me that I wasn’t enough for my friend. She needed more friends than just me. It was a hard awakening to what friendship really means. To inclusiveness. To generosity of spirit.

For the next two years of high school, Gloria and Julie and myself were inseparable. Moreover, we welcomed a fourth person—Carole—to our group. That epiphany helped me, forever after, to deal with any jealous feelings I discovered within myself. It brought me peace, and that’s what I wish you.


34 comments:

  1. You sound like my granddaughter and her four musketeers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne, yes, it was truly "sophomoric"! But so hard. Peace.

      Delete
  2. I think you showed tremendous insight for being so young. Most people don’t figure out this lesson until much later in life, if ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Birdie, it was a true epiphany. I can still remember standing up on the large rock that I was sitting on and saying, "I can do this." Peace.

      Delete
  3. Jealousy isn't something I am familiar with and can not remember ever having an epiphany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jo-Anne, unfortunately, I was jealous of others for a number of years when I was young. I wonder if epiphanies come so naturally to you--realizations--that you don't notice them. Peace.

      Delete
  4. It's wonderful that you could all become friends and I'm sure it made the rest of your high school days a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cynthia, yes we did have a lot of fun during those final two years. Peace.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful epiphany. One of the best stories you've told, Dee, and it resonates within me. You were then and are today a wise person. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear DJan, thank you for thinking me wise. Mostly I think of myself as a slow learner! Peace.

      Delete
  6. I think most of us can relate to your story. When we are young, our best friend is everything to us. Life changes, feelings change, and we must change along with it or be left in the dust. I still have my best friend (from age 3) and oh yes, we did have fights during adolescence and it often involved jealousy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Arleen, "Julie" is still a friend. she lives in another state and seldom comes back to Independence, but we talk on th phone and still laugh a lot! It's so wonderful, isn't it, to have friends whom we've known all these years. Peace.

      Delete
  7. What a smart young lady you were to embrace rather than fight the expansion of your friendship. We moved a lot when I was growing up and while I had BFF's, I was usually part of a group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patti, and I bet that you were so welcomed in any group because you are so able to laugh at yourself and also to see how ridiculous things can be. Your attitude toward life is so inspiring to me. Peace.

      Delete
  8. What a lesson for one so young (teen) to learn! Your epiphany helped you recreate who you were and then reached to Carole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Susan, I like how you think of this--that I was "recreating" myself. I think we all do that, perhaps several times during our lives. I hope your headaches are fading. Peace.

      Delete
  9. Dee, I enjoyed your story. And I too had an epiphany while on a silent retreat in high school. We went to an all girls Catholic high school and while things were fine for the most part, there was a bit of clickish activity and occasionally feelings were hurt. But I came to the conclusion early on that one should always 'give people the benefit of the doubt'. This has served me well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rian, yes, that "benefit of the doubt" takes away so much worry and stewing. But I tell you that it took me quite awhile to learn what you learned in high school. I plan to post about that epiphany too! I think next Sunday. Peace.

      Delete
  10. You were very mature to have such an epiphany so young. At that age we all think we're the center of the universe but life becomes much more fun when we realise we can share and be much the richer for it. It took me a lot longer than you but I got there eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Molly, I think that at sixteen I'd had a childhood experience that took away a feeling of being "the center of the universe." Mostly I felt I was unworthy of anyone's friendship and that at any moment, for any reason, love could be withdrawn and I'd never know why. Peace.

      Delete
  11. Echoing others, you learned early on what it took me and others many years to grasp. Good for you & good for your high school friendships!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bea, thank you for stopping by. I'll visit your blog this week. And yes, having that epiphany made such a difference to the friendships I made later. But I have to admit I got embroiled in jealousy in a big way when I was in my thirties. I hope in a week or two to post about the epiphany that ended that. Peace.

      Delete
  12. I loved reading about this gift you received so young, Dee. Thank you for sharing your recognition and for doing the work of accepting what you grasped, difficult though it was to do. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Deanna, it was difficult, but I really then began to learn that life was choice. Peace.

      Delete
  13. What a wonderfully sweet and inspiring post. I think I could write sever on my own epiphanies and perhaps might transform my nature blog from past adventures to me current musings and person insights... Thanks for the idea...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Troutbirder, I surely enjoy your nature blog, but then I think I'd enjoy anything you wrote about because you write with such enthusiasm and honesty. Good luck with any new plans you hatch! Peace.

      Delete
  14. I don't have time to read either your blog or the comments right now. I have been in front of this screen all day! Just want to say thank you for your post on Time Goes By which I just discovered. You write beautifully and I shall return to you blog....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Betty, thank you for stopping by and for your kind words about my writing. I hope to visit your blog tomorrow! Peace.

      Delete
  15. Oh, but it is hard to accept that we are no longer the one and only. . . .
    And maybe never truly were. How it hurts to realise that the world is full of friendships from which we feel excluded.
    Even as a child you were wise beyond your years. I tend to turn away and mumble “so be it, I don’t need you.” All the while minding like anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Friko, "my heart leaped up when I beheld . . . " a comment from you! Thank you so much for stopping by. For me this is a sign that perhaps slowly, ever so slowly, thaw from your husband's death is setting in and you are able to enjoy the warmth of what is waiting in this new life you now live without him. Loving implies loss. The loss of anyone as beloved as he was truly severes us from our moorings.

      I'm so glad to have this comment from you. Thank you and may you find the strength to continue to re-enter life. Peace.

      Delete
  16. I think you were allready really grown up with 16. I think not many girls would have had the mind to think about it and would have decided to try to deal at their own with their jealousy. I am an aries and know from my horoscope on astrosofa.com/zodiac/, that I am a very jealous type. But it took me a lot of time and development to admit it to myself. So really all thumps up for the young Dee. ;)

    Best whishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Valerie, thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment. I may have possessed at 16 some common sense, but I truly was emotionally immature. Like you, I am an Aries and so it's interesting that you say we are the jealous type because I did deal with jealousy several more times in my life.

      My emotional immaturity is really evident in the convent memoir I'm going to publish in April! There, you can see how far behind I was emotionally from the other young women with whom I entered the convent! Peace.

      Delete
  17. What a valuable lesson to come to at such a young age, Dee. This is a lesson that I, too, learned early and that I seem to need to relearn from time-to-time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Penny, I bet that you are as grateful as I am about learning this lesson early. And yes, from time-to-time, I, too, feel the niggle of jealousy and then remember to be grateful for what is and has been. Peace.

      Delete