Saturday, September 3, 2011

Arthur

(Continued from Thursday . . .)
As the days have passed in this recounting of my kindergarten year and my seeming abandonment by my parents, I’ve shared many memories with you. Today I offer you two more. For me, they remain as vivid and pristine as when they happened.
            Both centered me in the present and in Presence. Both comforted me as the weeks and months passed. Both are with me today: talismans in my life when stress sometimes overwhelms me.
            In kindergarten the teacher provided the clay, paint, brushes, soil, and cacti we needed for an art project. Each of us fashioned a pot for our mothers for Mother’s Day. I painted mine a lovely blue and brushed white Vs on it.
            We put our pots to dry on a table beneath a window in the storage closet. One day I sidled into that closet, closed the door behind me, and picked up my blue pot with its birds in flight. It seemed beautiful to me as I held it up to the window imagining Mommy’s delight when I gave it to her. I didn’t know when that would happen, but I meant to keep it safe for her.
            Between one breath and another, radiant light illuminated every pore of my body. I became prism. Peace inundated me. Joy embraced me. Shepherded me. Homed me.
            How long did I stand there with the painted pot in my hand? I don’t know. I know only that this transcendent experience comforted me. Then and now.
            The picture I have of that kindergarten class shows the eighteen of us sitting in front of a tepee. Each of us wears a headband. The name “Bright Eyes” is printed on mine. This in itself shows that I had not lost my essential self that year. I must have laughed and played and enjoyed kindergarten. Why else would the teacher have given me that name?


            The other comforting memory from that year is meeting Arthur in the vast vacant lot separating the neighbors’ house from Our Lady of Good Counsel Grade School. Brambles and weeds, some towering over my head, grew in that lot, which a cater-cornered path transversed. Children ran down it, crossed at the corner, and raced into the school playground. I among them.
            One day when I walked alone with no one in sight ahead or behind, a lion emerged from the plumed grass. “Hello, Dodo,” he said. “Shall we walk together?”
            I lay my hand on the velvety softness of his muzzle and stroked his ears and looked into his limpid brown eyes. He told me then that his name was Arthur and that he and I could walk to and from school together. He’d wait for me each morning and afternoon. He wouldn’t go away if I were late. He wouldn’t desert me.
            “And will you play with me after school?” I asked.
            “I will.”
            “And will you lie on the end of my bed each night?”
            “I will. I’ll warm your feet.”
            In the days ahead I rode on his back. Brushed his ruff. Chased his expressive tail as we played. We became fast friends. 
             I say this with great humility and awe and gratitude—Arthur saved me.
            So much love within him.
            Now, all these years later, I think that my noble and steadfast lion came from the deepest part of myself. The part where I am most me. Where I have the courage and resilience and fortitude to survive loss.
            The me who is at One with the Universe.
            The me who deep down knew—somehow—that the love her parents had lavished on her for five years could not just disappear.
            What-ever they were doing. Why-ever they were doing it. Where-ever they where, they must still love her.
            Somehow, that little girl held on.
            Perhaps that’s all any of us can do in the reversals of life.
            Hold on.
                                                                        (to be continued next Tuesday . . .)

15 comments:

  1. You are such a phenomenal writer! You had ME holding onto this story, from the beautiful presence of light, to the wonderful lion. I'm so glad you found something to hang onto and show how lovely you were and still are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have goosebumps, Dee! I love that you had both of these experiences to ground you and remind you who you were. Your spirit showed its strength right then and there.

    Love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KARIO is NOT the only one with goosebumps, Dee! You write so beautifully--I feel I really know the little girl you were then & the lovely lady you are now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well written my friend! Sometimes a child's imagination is the only link to sanity and normality that they have. What a great story.
    Thank you for all your wonderful comments on my blog. You are such a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That smile in the photo is contagious! It warms my heart that you were able to find some comfort and sunshine while away from your family. This was simply beautiful!I'm so lucky to have found your blog and your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These two priceless memories are imbued with so much magic and mystery and your sharing of both is beautifully done. It is clear you were being loved and protected by your higher power throughout this difficult phase in your young life and shows the innate resilience you possessed then and which has carried you throughout your life. The more I learn about you, the greater my admiration for the incredible person you are and clearly always have been, even at that tender age. You seemed to possess the ability to transcend whatever life tossed your way, as though you were drawn to something beyond your physical self.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! You learned that you are okay no matter what! To find that safe place within yourself--that's something many people never know. Moments like that are hard to describe and change your inner perspective for life. Love that you were creative enough to have your lion friend, too. Beautiful and inspiring memories! Thanks so much for sharing them. :):)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bright eyes, indeed! I have a great deal of reading to catch up, but I went back and read several posts prior to this one. The image of your mother's pottery that you held for so long is transcendent. And Arthur... nothing more needs to be said, you found your helper. Glad I've found YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful story, Dee. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You write with such depth, such emotion. I was there with you.
    I call one of my granddaughters "Bright Eyes"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dee, you, your stories, and the way you tell them, are absolutely mesmerizing. Please keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The lion inside the little girl . . . .
    Can you see how strong she must have been, and how that strength followed her into the life she lived?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your writing has caught my attention. I will spend a few hours catching up on your posts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Dee. I've just read the whole series of abandonment stories. My heart breaks for that little girl, and I really wanted to pinch the grandmother. You've told this story with such grace and clarity and simple honesty. I love the hope that shines through this most recent piece, love that you knew you were loved by a being much more powerful than your parents. You are a brilliant storyteller, and I can't wait for the next installments. Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Children are so amazing. I love that you were able to connect with your Inner Being despite all the trauma of being "abandoned." Bright eyes. Bright soul.

    ReplyDelete